Is Eli Manning a Question Mark?

Yesterday, I was listening to my local ESPN Radio station. The discussion turned over to the Giants. The host started talking about the impact of the losses of Amani Toomer and Plaxico Burress, the stout D, and a great run game. However, the next thing mentioned surprised me. The host was concerned about Eli Manning. He lost Amani Toomer, Plaxico Burress, and Derrick Ward. Eli had 289 completions last year. Toomer had 48. Ward had 41. Burress had 35. 124 of Eli’s 289 completions went to guys no longer on the team. The host was worried that Eli couldn’t do it without them.  He said a lot of Eli’s completions were saved by the fact that Burress out-jumped all cornerbacks, making normally inaccurate throws on the mark. He then talked about how maybe the Super Bowl win was lucky( “It was a hail mary to David Tyree.” “The Patriots were bound to lose.”). Is Eli Manning a big question mark for this Giants team? The host thought so.  I was flabbergasted. Yes, Eli goes through his rough patches, but more often than not, he gets the job done. He was a Pro Bowl QB last year. I don’t think his ability should be questioned. He is very talented, and was not picked #1 overall just because his last name is Manning. As I wrote in our Position Breakdown of the QBs, Eli has to utilize all his wideouts, not relying on just one like he did with Burress. And again, it’s not like there isn’t talent at the receiver position. Steve Smith and Domenik Hixon combined for 100 catches (and that should increase with their increased role in the offense). However, we knew this coming into the year. I don’t think Manning is a question mark. I think he is one of the positions you don’t have to worry about. So, I bring the question to you: Are you concerned about Eli Manning?

8 Responses to “Is Eli Manning a Question Mark?”

1. brandon says:

amazing blog, guys! I read this everyday. Probably the best blog out there.

2. Júlio César says:

well, ok! let’s say that eli is innacurate and burres “fixed” a lot of the over throws from manning… but burress had only 35 catches last year… supposing that all of them was poorly thrwon by eli, what about the whole other completed passes?? he earned a pro bowl just throwing shit around?? that’s ridiculous…

it’s obvious that eli isn’t as talented as his brother or other #1 overall picks like elway, aikman… but he’s good and it’s a very decent franchise quarterback… has talent enough to run the team ’till super bowl other times (supposing that the first one was only about lucky… yeah, right!)

3. I’ll maintain this forever, but the reason that Plaxico had to outjump all the other CB’s is because he wasn’t ever Wide Open because he couldn’t out run them and was not a great route runner.

This year I gurantee two things will happen Eli will have more open throws and the Yards After Catch will improve greatly.

4. Ed says:

Typical of ESPN who consistently puts down the Giants any which way they can. It seems to remind me of when Tiki retired and they were asking how will the Giants replace the fact that Tiki was responsible for almost half of the Giants offense. That question was answered and this one will be as well.

5. Shane says:

I would say say the only people that need to be concerned are opposing offenses this year. Eli has shown a steady progression fitting of his demeanor. Eli threw for over 3,000 yards, completed over 60% of his passes sans Burress’ 35 receptions, and only threw 10 interceptions down from 20. I would call him a matured quarterback who has prepared him self tirelessly and is poised for a a breakout year due to the aforementioned YAC.
    I think it is safe to say that this Giants team has complete faith in Eli and their support will also factor into his success.

6. kevin says:

Espn is full of a bunch of talking heads who go by storylines and don’t even watch half of the games the giants play. How many catches did plax have in the superbowl, 2. Did he tear it up in Dallas,no. How did eli do in Arizona this year without plax, 3td’s and only 2 incompletions in the 2nd half. In ’05 before plax the took the 15 and 1 steelers to the wall with amani and ike. If the receivers get open and they catch the ball the giants will be fine

7. jeff19 says:

This is all BS. Eli is not a question mark. The talking head is a typical idiot. He should write for Bleacher Report.

And another thing, I can’t stand people who say Eli is not as ‘this’ or ‘that’ as another player. He’s a SB MVP and Pro-Bowl player and only 28 years-old. He improves every year he’s a Giant, and if Giants stadium had a dome, he’d put up insane numbers too. I also recall Eli winning the big game a lot sooner than big bro with some lights out playing on the big day.

It makes no sense at all the crap this SB MVP QB receives.

8. JIMMY CARTER says:

BARRING INJURY, THIS IS THE YEAR ELI WILL BE RECOGNISED AS ONE OF THE TOP FIVE QB IN THE NFL. HE HAS MATURED AND HE HAS THE SKILL, INTILLIGENCE, AND CONFIDENCE TO LEAD THE GIANTS BACK TO THE SUPER BOWL. I JUST HOPE THE OC USES SOME IMIGINATION ON THIRD AND SHORT.