Free Agency Preview

Free Agency is Friday.  It should be an awesome ride. I fully expect the Giants to be very active in free agency. Does that mean they will spend $100 million on Julius Peppers? Probably not. But, it does mean the Giants will do everything they can to improve their team. Here are a couple of players the I think the Giants should go after.

DARREN SHARPER:

Say what you want about him, the dude makes plays. He’s a ballhawk in the secondary, and that’s something the Giants don’t have. He’d look awfully good next to Kenny Phillips. Two dynamic safeties. I’m getting excited just thinking about it. Sharper is 34, so the Giants wouldn’t be interested in a long term deal. One year, maybe two. He’d be a great mentor for a young secondary.

DUNTA ROBINSON:

Robinson is young, talented, and gets hurt often. He’ll also be expecting a long term deal with a lot of cash. That’s one problem. But, he’s so talented, and if it weren’t for injuries, he’d be mentioned in the same breath as Darrelle Revis. He’s that good. I don’t know if the GIants are willing to pony up that much cash. He’ll want a 6 year deal, for something like $80 million. Giants aren’t going to want to spend that much money. I still think they should kick the tires around, but don’t expect much out of it.

KIRK MORRISON:

I wrote about Morrison here. He received a third round tender. And, he’s a tackling machine. Consistently in 120 range. He’d fill the void left by Pierce. I think he would be a great addition.

KEITH BULLUCK:

If they can’t get Morrison, they should go after Bulluck. He’s 33, so a long term deal is out of the question. But, he’s such a good leader, something that I thought the GIants were lacking last year. He’s going to give you everything he’s got. He’s someone you get, and draft a linebacker line Rolando McClain, so Bulluck can mentor him.

There’s a reason I’m targeting all defensive players. I thought the offense was solid. If I had to choose, I would go after Morrison and Sharper. I think Peppers is going to cost too much. I think Dansby is not as good as Morrison. And I think Sharper will provide that leadership presence. Who do YOU think the Giants should go after?

7 Responses to “Free Agency Preview”

1. alex says:

Antrel rolle should be a fa also. Kirk morrison is a takling machine and I wouldn’t be mad if aquired especialy for a 3rd. But he is not a better lb then dansby. Dansby can rush the passer verywell. Something missing from morrisons game. Also morrison is slow we need speed. Dansb is also the better pass defender. It takes more than just takling to b a good lb.

And dunta robinson isn’t even close to revis lol. He’s a good cb but u can’t say we’ll if he was healthy he would do this he’s bin in the league longer than revis and hasn’t proved anything. We have no spot for him anyway.

2. Curtis says:

I have to agree with alex. Morrison is too slow, and frankly I think Robinson is a bum. Has he ever even been to a pro bowl? I say sign Larry Johnson to a one year deal to replace the much missed Derrick Ward. Sign Antrell Rolle or Sharper and pick up another saftey in the 3rd. If we can’t get MCclain then trade back a few spots(maybe to 18 or 19 plus a 3rd or 4th) and get Weatherspoon to play inside LB.(19) With the extra pick draft an offensive tackle. 2nd round get a DT. Maybe Odrick or Houston.

3. Curtis says:

And yeah, Robinson has never been anywhere even close to Revis.

4. Michael S says:

Who ever says Kirk Morrison is too slow apparently doesn’t watch football. He’s an elite middle linebacker and a 3rd round should definetly be spent on him. He would be a great addition for the giants. Morrison played in a 4-3 where linebackers have to be more athletic than linebackers in a 3-4. He’s also younger and better than dansby. It would be great if they got him.
    Lol. U said he’s slow right? Look what team drafted him……

5. Michael S is right.

Kirk Morrision ran a 4.69 40 at the combine in 2005. Which would have been 10th best at this year’s combine and that includes players like Daryl Washington who are considered speedsters.

According to profootballfocus.com though Kirk Morrision really struggld in pass coverage this year, maybe it’s schematic issue where he was in a lot of mis matches.

6. alex says:

No trust me morrison is slow he strugles so much because he cantttt cover anyone just like pierce. He hardly racks up any sacks he has no pass rush ability. So why is he an elite lineb acker lol? Because he racks up so many tackles with 1 sack and no picks

Plz patrick willis is elite jon beason is elite ray lewis is elit brian urlacher is elite danby is on another level than morrison he is a playmaker morrison is not. But like I said for a 3rd bring him on I just doubt it we can do better than morrison in the 2nd round this year.

7. twerp says:

Dansby blows. The only reason he wants to play in NY is because he wants to be a star and party with celebs. Highly overrated. He still riding the goodwill from the Superbowl run.