Draft Thoughts

I can’t fall asleep on this early Sunday morning, so, naturally, my mind wandered towards the draft. With the Antrel Rolle signing, the Giants do not need to draft a safety. They do not to trade up for Earl Thomas. Actually, if healthy, this secondary is pretty damn good. Rolle and Phillips at safety. Aaron Ross, Corey Webster and Terrell Thomas at corner. That’s really strong. You can’t find many teams with that kind of young talent in the defensive backfield. Of course, that is predicated on staying healthy, but if they do, watch out. All those guys can make plays.

I’m also thinking more and more that the Giants will sign a middle linebacker. Maybe it’s Kirk Morrison. Maybe it’s Will Witherspoon, or Larry Foote. Either way, there are bunch of really good and really cheap options at middle linebacker. Combine one of those guys with Michael Boley and Clint Sintim, and your linebacker position is pretty strong. I think Sintim is a potential star in this league, and Boley, taking away injuries, was actually pretty good. Now your back 7 is set.

I think Tuck is going to get healthy and is going to be a force. Will Osi? I don’t know. He’s another year removed from his injury. I think Perry Fewell is the perfect coach for Osi–fiery, energetic, players coach. Osi and Sheridan just didn’t get along, and I think that affected his play. If Osi plays like he can, the pass rush is vastly improved.

Which brings me to defensive tackle. Chris Canty was hurt a lot in his first year, but when he did play, he did not make plays. We’ll be getting Jay Alford back, and that should help. But, if the Giants sign a middle linebacker, I think the biggest need going into the draft will be defensive tackle.

Problem is, outside of maybe Brian Price, there probably won’t be a defensive tackle worth targeting at 15. So, you take best player available. Maybe that’s CJ Spiller, or Jason Pierre-Paul. In round 2, however, you take a defensive tackle. I like Arthur Jones, but Jared Odrick, or Lamaar Houston would be good too.

If the Giants don’t sign a middle linebacker, then there’s a need there, and you take someone like Rolando McClain. But, I believe they will sign a veteran at that position. And, then they focus on their biggest need–defensive tackle.

Of course, there are other needs. And that should be addressed in the later rounds. I think they need depth on the offensive line. I think they need another corner. I think they can always use pass rushers. But, take a look at this team: What else is there to fill? Offense is pretty set. They have one of the best young receiving corps in the league. Ahmad Bradshaw was awesome last year, and I think Jacobs, now that he’s healthy, will get back to himself. You don’t need a quarterback, obviously. You have a need for depth on the offensive line– I think a right tackle in round 3, someone who could play in 2011 would be a great investment. But, Will Beatty has forced himself in to the starting five, and that puts David Diehl at right tackle or right guard. Diehl was a Pro Bowler at left tackle. He could be All-Pro at guard or even right tackle.

This is all predicated on the Giants signing a middle linebacker. Even if they don’t, Jon Goff may be up to the task. But, let’s say they sign a middle linebacker. You take two signings (Rolle, and Middle Linebacker X), and the ripple effect is huge. That’s just some late night draft thinking. Thoughts on what the Giants should do?

13 Responses to “Draft Thoughts”

1. CMH says:

Still need another Safety. There’s no guarantee that KP will be ready. Didn’t Miami cut Gibril? Would he come back here?

2. DM says:

I would like to see them put someone better than Witherspoon in the middle. His play was average at best with the Eagles. Trotter got playing time which says something about WW. Their linebacker corp has been so weak in recent years. They have had no speed on the outside which puts too much pressure on the DBs to make tackles. I would love to seem them prioritize LBs via the draft or FA signing.

3. Jeremy says:

With the recent Rolle signing. My money is on the Giiants drafting Best Player available. Going into the draft with options is important.

4. Russo757 says:

FOr the life of me I dont understand the choice of ROlle over the rest of the safety free agency class. Profootballfocus has Atagwe, Bethea, Wilson, and Sharper all rated higher than Rolle and they base rankings off performance. If I had it my way I would have signed Sharper for two years. He may be old but he was one of the top TEN safety’s in the leage last year. He is a proven player/leader which NY needs. Also would have tried to sign Dansby or a MLB in the freeagency as well.

As far as the draft goes, There are three good safety’s available in Thomas, Berry and Mays. All the “buzz” suggests that safety’s arent picked up top ten which I think Berry will but that still leaves Thomas or Mays available at 15. Draft the talented rookie and let Sharper mentor and groom them for the next two years.

The giants are weak at LB…have been for a while and I dont think McClain is going to be available come 15. So they get a subpar pick and a Safety ranked 63rd for almost 8 million per year…SOunds like Reese is slipping.

• you’re right — i did that same research myself on PFF.

but, against the Giants themselves, Rolle had a great great game. That got their attention I’m sure.

But he IS a 27 year old probowl safety, afterall.

• Russo757 says:

Right. But if you do a cost benifit analysis it makes more sense to get a cheaper safety and another one out of the draft. Phillips may be gtg, or he may be crap. No one knows with his condition. And there is still the MLB issue….not many superstars in the draft so if NY doenst make a move then they are stuck with a subpar MLB.
        I dunno…just seems that this wasnt thought out well. But hey..IM just a fan
        😛

• they had to bring in a bona fide pro bowler there, hands were tied. if they cheaped out and tookd a chance on a cheeper safety — the sieve factor may have been increased substantially and another season wasted.

• Jeremy says:

Rolle and Phillips is a pretty potent Safety combo. If they allow double digit big plays between them I’d be surprised.

5. davidMc says:

good thoughts, gentlemen. The Gmen need not only an anchor MIKE, they need a Leader to replace A Pierce– Rolando McClain should fill those needs. If 15th is too far a drop, trade away a 5th round pick to move up to 11-12, and GET HIM. i don’t think they’ll be sorry.

6. Curtis says:

Excellent move getting Rolle! Now, With the first pick we go ILB only if Mcclain or Weatherspoon is there.(Play Spoon at ILB- not too much of a reach at 15)Then grab the best DT in the second.(I like Odrick) If not, get the highest DT at 15(Dan Williams) and try to grab spikes in the second. Third round pick up an OT. Fourth rd, CB. Fifth round, Safety. Sixth round look for a kicker if possible or a blocking TE. Seventh round take the Best player avail. I wouldn’t mind trading up to 11 or 12 for Mcclain and giving up a 5th in which case take a Safety in the Sixth. Or trading back to 19 or 20 for an extra pick and Weatherspoon. But what do you think about taking Mays at 15 and moving him to ILB? All he’ll have to do is gain an extra 5 pounds.