Colts release Ryan Lilja…Giants SHOULD Sign

The Colts have released starting LG Ryan Lilja, the 28 year old guard who has started the last 32 games he was healthy for (missed all of 2008) has been released by the Colts.

This is potentially great for the Giants. All of us have been saying that the Giants should fix their Offensive line and Lilja provides the perfect opportunity to do so.

Lilja had a 7.1 rating from profootballfocus.com which was 16th best in the league last year and 7th best for a LG. Lilja had a 2.5 Screen Block a 4.0 Run Block and only allowed one sack on the season.

In 2007 Lilja had a 6.1 rating, which oddly enough was 16th best rated in the league, that year he had a 7.6 Run Block, but had a few too many penalties.

Lilja has experience in playing for a pocket passing QB who lacks elite mobility, but also makes sound decisions. Lilja is also a proven veteran who is only 28 years old and won’t turn 29 until the middle of October.

Ryan Lilja would slide into the Starting LG position for the Giants pushing Rich Subert to backup duty. William Beatty could be inserted at LT, which could push David Diehl to his more natural position (many believe including me) RT.

Lilja is also a proven winner and provides the Giants with another quality veteran presence all while remaking the offensive line.

What do you guys think?

If that’s not what the Giants are thinking….(and I don’t think it is), then the Giants could also just draft a Dominating RT like Bryan Baluga or Anthony Davis at 15th overall and move Diehl inside to LG.

11 Responses to “Colts release Ryan Lilja…Giants SHOULD Sign”

1. Jesse Cassel says:

I know I sound like a broken record but they should sign a MLB and work the other positions out later. I like Lilja and I know we need oline but Im just scared about the Linebacking core we have now and I dont think we can fix it right away in the draft.

• Russo757 says:

I agree. They need to sign a MLB. Not convinced that the draft will fix that issue and it is a BIG issue.

2. Jeremy says:

Booooo!!!!! No to Lilja. O-Ver-Rated, O-Ver-Rated!!!

3. alex says:

Yea he is way overated you should realy stop relying upon that website I don’t like it to much. As u stated earlier rolle was 67th best. That’s just retarted for a guy who made it as a probowl alternate so that means over 60 guys got screwed. I also was looking at their rb ratings and such and that was dum also.

Besides were trying to get younger at o line if u ask me ohara needs a replacement not for this year or even next but he is getting up ther in age.

4. Alex-I don’t rely on the website, it’s just a frame or point of reference if you will.

I’m not talking about breaking the bank for the guy I’m jsut talking about adding him at a reasonable price becuase he gives the Giants more talent and more flexibility..he creates competition and he lets people know they are accountable for their jobs (Rich Suebert moves to backup Guard giving the team more good depth)

Lilja’s not great, but he’s starter quality would give the Giants more flexibility and depth and would add something new to the team.

There was something intangible missing last year…team got too comftorable? I’m not sure what it was, but something. Maybe Lilja helps get rid of that.

5. Jeremy Fuchs says:

I’m actually with Bartolis on this one. He’s young. He’ll be cheap. It can’t hurt. I think, as Bartolis was saying, Lilja is that lunch pail type of guy we haven’t had

6. Jeremy says:

Is this guy Lilja better than Boothe. I don’t know.

7. Andy says:

i don’t see the harm in signing Lilja, as long as we still sign a LB which I’m pretty sure we will. The o-line needs to be shaken up a little bit after their performance last year.

8. CMH says:

Why did Indy cut him?

9. twerp says:

As a part time Colts fan, I’ve watched Lilja play a lot. I’m as surprised as any that they cut him. But I’m all for at least seeing what his asking price is.

And yes Jeremy, he is better than Kevin Boothe.

10. COACH says:

If he was better than Boothe he would still be on the Colts. Boothe is better suited for the power running game the Giants use Lilja is a zone blocking guard. Money wise Boothe is a lot cheaper.