Coughlin on Phillips: “Still Limited”

He said, he said.  The want and desire to take part in your team’s activities in a role you owned before an injury – VS – the cold hard facts of life.  This concept is perfect summed up in two recent comments juxtaposed against one another, one from the injured player and the other by the head coach:

Kenny Phillips a few weeks ago on his blog:

“I feel like I could play tomorrow.”

Coughlin at the NFC coaches’ breakfast:

Phillips is “still limited.”

Via PFT:  “At Wednesday’s NFC coaches’ breakfast, however, coach Tom Coughlin said that Coughlin also said that he’s hopeful Phillips will be ready for the start of the season, but that the team must be prepared in the event that he isn’t.”

Hence the signing of Antrel Rolle of course…

But the larger issue is one that none of us loyal to Big Blue can deny – Kenny Phillips may not be ready, ever.  While the right treatment, recovery, rehab, training, resting, and easing in to the 2010 NFL season may be the only path he can take… even the best results may fall short.  In fact the bar is going to be so high on production from the Giants secondary in 2010 — I have a feeling Rolle is going to feel overwhelmed.  Hell, the Giants could bring in 3 more top safetys through free agency and the bar would still be through the roof.  The problem for Phillips is this — his starting position is all but gone unless he blows everyone’s hair back in preseason — and there’s just no guarantee that he’ll even be ready to get the pads on come July / August.

Think about this — Phillips can’t even run yet. Via his blog:

I have to say I think my knee is way ahead of schedule. Everything is looking good, from what the doctors say, and I’ll be running by the end of the month.

That’s by the end of this month, translation – beginning of April.  And that’s probably what Coughlin is refering to because all we have really have to go on is knowledge of the rehab schedule.  Now to put this all in a real context — Phillips has got 3 months to regain super-human running abilities and be able to cut loose when he wants to go after the ball.  No matter how badly he wants to, no matter how badly we want him to — we should all read between the lines here and temper our reaction to the news that Kenny Phillips probably will not start in 2010.  And THATS why Rolle was paid top dollar… they absolutely needed a pro bowl caliber player back there in the most likely event that Phillips was unavailable.

I hate to say it this early or even make the comparison to different types of nagging injuries, but Kenny Phillips may be the Aaron Ross of 2010.

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

12 Responses to “Coughlin on Phillips: “Still Limited””

1. Jeremy says:

If its possible to lose 100 LB in 7 weeks, Phillips can get fit by October. If he isn’t ready to start by September him off the bench is a good luxury to have. We don’t need him to play every snap just playing is good enough for me.

2. Russo757 says:

a luxury? Rolle alone in the back provides me little comfort given the current talent we will have standing next to him. NY needs to pick up another Safety Free Agent or one in the draft…end of story. I still think they could get Sharper for a decent price if he is still available. Although Sharper would add instant relief a draft would be the best pick since its a younger guy that NY could groom and grow. Phillips is Done-Doneski. They dont call his condition degenerative for nothin

• i agree — blow some of that cash on a decent safety that can hit the ground running and if Phillips is limited all season let him ease into it all year.

• Tony says:

What about the safety from St Louis, Atogwe. The rams don’t seem to want him.

• Russo757 says:

Atogwe is young and will want an extended contract. Sharper is old and seasoned and just took a one year contract last year so it would be safe to assume that NY could get him on a 1-2 year deal at a reasonable price. He would bring instant value and knowledge to the secondary not to mention a TON of intensity. I think its a no brainer.

3. Are you comparing ‘the biggest loser’ to preparations after injury/surgery for a starting Safety for an NFL team?

4. Jared says:

We need another FA safety and a drafted safety! Like now! I hope KP can make it back but we have to go forward thinking it isn’t going to happen, atleast not right away.

5. Chris says:

I disagree. I think he will come back strong and be stellar in 2010. He’s done everything according to the doctors. He’s young and will bounc back.

6. Steve B. says:

I am not worried about KP, I think he will be back playing football in 2010.

I do disagree with the statement that the “bar is high for the secondary.”

Why would it be high? At this point any improvement in performance from last year to this year would be nice.

When the bar is set high, its based on what was done last year. Like you win the Superbowl, the bar is the Superbowl, and to win another one.

By saying that the bar is high for the secondary is like saying the Rams bar is set at the superbowl, even though they went 1-15.

Expectations are not high, we just want an improvement. If we go from a bad secondary, to an average secondary, that would be GREAT. So the bar is really not set high.

Anyways, I still think the Giants will probably draft a safety, but maybe later like 3 or round 4, instead of the thought of round 1 or 2.

• Steve B. says:

And BTW, Coughlin saying that KP is limited, is not suprising.

He said the same thing with Eli, and Bradshaw. They have bad feet, so they are “limited”. Will they play? “We’ll see”

Those are typical Coughlin answers, so I would not read anything into them.

7. horsecack says:

i read that coughlin also said “we dont want to rush him” so chances are hes able to run just he still has time from here to training camp to take it very cautiously which sounds like a good idea