Wilkinson in the Middle?

Could Gerris Wilkinson be the starting middle linebacker for the Giants next season? He sure thinks so. Speaking to the Daily News, here’s what Wilkinson had to say:

“What I have in my mind is playing middle right now,” he said. “That’s what they’ve talked to me about playing. That’s what I want to play.”

Wilkinson said the Giants reached out to him through a third party about the switch and that he’s embraced it.

Is Wilkinson the answer at middle linebacker? Or is he just one of the options? I think we have to see how he plays during camp and in preseason. He’s been hurt so often, it’s hard to know what you’re going to get from him. I’m willing to give it a try, however.

6 Responses to “Wilkinson in the Middle?”

To me Wilkinson is dead weight and needs to go to make room for another player, I hope he proves me wrong, but I really hope we don’t keep him rostered, forcing a good player to be cut and him get IR’d week 2. I’m finally starting to like the possibility of seeing McClain in Blue, but the Crohn’s scares me a lot more than most people.

2. JohnDeeezy says:

If the Giants SERIOUSLY offered this guy the starting job i think pigs will fly tomorrow. Jason C your right this guy is holding a roster spot for someone younger/better/and a hell of a lot more durable. Has he even started before? Middle linebacker is the most important spot on any defense! This bum isnt worthy of starting on it until he can prove otherwise. I honestly hope he proves me wrong but hes been here for i think 4 years and still isnt producing. So i say give it to Goff and see what he can do with it

3. Michael S says:

Why can’t our gmen just giv up a 3rd round pick for Kirk Morrison. He played with the raiders and was great. Imagine with a great team around him.

I trust Jerry, so if he isn’t making a move here, maybe there’s a reason, also maybe he’ll look to acquire him after the draft. Though I’m with you 100%, I would love to see Morrison in Blue, I think he’s the kind of player that can thrive in our system.

4. Jesse Cassel says:

agree go get kirk morrison, seems to be the only reasonable thing to do for our middle linebacker situation

5. twerp says:

Shouldn’t we have cut our losses with this guy by now?