Kiper’s Giants 4 Round Mock

Taken from: http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2009/0129/dm_081029_cfb_kiper.jpg

Well here is what Kiper says the Giants may consider doing (Kiper prefaces all of his team’s picks by saying that one trade drastically changes everything so this is more of a breakdown of something that they might consider…or a strategy they will have and not necessarily what he thinks will happen)

But anyway here is what Kiper thinks the Giants could do in the first four rounds of the N.F.L. Draft.

Top needs: MLB, OL, DT, RB, CB, S
First round (15): LB Rolando McClain
Second-round (46): DE Carlos Dunlap
Third-round (76): OL Vladimir Ducasse
Fourth-round (115): CB Kevin Thomas

I think that many of us agree (and even those of us who don’t love it) still have no problems with the Giants taking Rolando McClain. My only argument to McClain is that it’s not certain that he will be the Best Player Available and that there is a small handful of players that represent better value, but McClain is more than fair value, good value even at 15 and he fills a big need.

Carlos Dunalp was a top 10 prospect before this season, but is dropping. I think middle of the second round is very good value for Dunalp. He has “work ethic issues” but he still had 9 sacks this season. He played well vs the good teams, didn’t seem motivated against some bad teams (but Florida usually won by 40 points so who cares?) I think Dunlap is good value in the second.

Third round Mel has the Giants taking a player like Vladimir Ducasse who I’ve seen the Giants take in the second round in many mock drafts. I’d be suprised (and happy) if Ducasse could fall to the third round. He could definitely upgrade guard and may eventually be a very good N.F.L. Tackle.

Lastly, Kevin Thomas is not one of my favorite players, he has CB Amari Spivey going a couple picks later to the Falcons and I like Spivey more than Thomas. He also has Jonathan Dwywer going after 115 who’d I’d prefer (was once being considered late first round), Jason Worilids is another interesting player. ReShad Jones is definitely a player I’d prefer (he went later in round four as well).

[poll id=”20″]

10 Responses to “Kiper’s Giants 4 Round Mock”

1. Jared says:

Am I the only one who thinks Kiper looks like a muppet?

2. alex says:

No he def soes but I would really like someone to tell me who brings better value than mclain at 15….paul?? A one year onder with huge upside?? Mclain had several great years. Spiller ?? We already have a franchise back..well we paid him like 1 he only had 1 bad year he was hurt. Morgan?? No way not over mclain. Mclain is the best player we can draft that would fall enough said.

I would be thrilled if we land dunlap in the 2nd he is a beast will most likely be better than osi and I don’t think osi is done at all

• I do think Spiller is better value.

I think Morgan is better value.

I think it’s possible a top OT falls and that would provide better value (I’m a fan of Bruce Campbell most aren’t which I understand but I think he played well and that’s he not just a workout warrior). So I’d accept Campbell or Bulaga

I think Joe Haden and Earl Thomas are higher on my board and they are possible to fall.

So I agree that McClain is good value. I think he’s right about the 13, 14th, 15th best player on the board which means that’s right where he should be drafted.

But I’m hoping there are some reaches that push players further down.

A trent Williams over an Okung, a Taylor Mays sneaks into the high round consideratoin, Pierre Paul goes in the top 10.

A Kyle Wilson over a Joe Haden.

Something like that pushes two or three players expected to be top 10 or 12 to the Giants at 15.

So McClain Good value. Is the the Best value the Giants can get at 15? I don’t think so, but he’s good value.

I’d prefer Arenas in round 4 but otherwise that would be a great draft. Still not completely sold on McClain, but it is a position of need and he is the consensus top player at that position.

4. Jeremy says:

Here’s a thought, football players are better than Gymnasts. I would have no quarrels about drafting McClain in the first round. But I’d still prefer an O-lineman. We could still get a great MLB in later rounds. I’m with Jesse I’d prefer BPA as long as it’s not CJ Spiller. Especially considering a rookie LB wont start for Coach C. Only Snee started from Day one, I believe, as a Rookie. Remember Eli didn’t even start until the second half of the season and he was essentially two draft picks.

If they don’t go for a top MLB, I don’t think they should touch the position, they have two guys they “think” can play the position, along with possibly Blackburn as a third, so why draft someone in the later rounds just to throw on the back end of the depth chart?

5. Adam Y says:

I like these picks but maybe in round four try to get the best DT available only if its not a reach. i think we could get a decent DB in the fifth round, maybe even another DB in the sixth and best player available in the 7th

6. Steve B. says:

Can you guys do a profile on TE Dennis Pitta, remember seeing him at the combine and looked pretty impressive. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Giants took a TE, not really sure where Travis Beckum fits, and they could use a good blocking TE.

7. Larry J says:

Ducasse is the guy I’d really like to see in Giant blue, but I don’t think he’ll last until the third round.