Monday Thoughts And Musings

I’m liking this Thoughts And Musings Series. There isn’t that much going on in Giants-land in terms of news, and I think this is a nice way to bring up some things about the Giants. So here goes, Thoughts and Musings, Monday style.

-If you missed my radio appearance, click here. I come in around the 82 minute mark. I had a great time talking Giants football with them. Plus, it’s going to be a weekly thing. I’m excited.

-I still think the Giants may end up trading Barry Cofield. The deal with the Saints didn’t go down, but that doesn’t mean a future deal is out of the question. There’s really no need for him, especially with Linval Joseph. If the Giants can get a 2nd round pick, than why not?

-Speaking of Linval Joseph, I may sound like a broken record, but I really think he’s going to be a star. He has the build, he has the motor. He won’t get that many sacks, but he will be a run stopping presence for a long time.

-Will the real Corey Webster please stand up? At the beginning of the year last year, Webster was a shutdown corner. He kind of trailed off after that. Webster has the ability to be a shutdown corner. He’s shown it. It’s just not consistent. If the Giants have an improved pass rush, Webster won’t have to cover as long, and that should help. I just want consistency, at this point.

-Random interlude: I was at a diner on Saturday, at about 1ish. At the diner was a young family. The kid was about 2 or 3. The father, seemingly attentive, was drinking beer. Now, who am I to judge, but isn’t beer at 1 a little early? When you’re with your young daughter? It’s not as bad as the time when I was at Disney World and a women was holding her baby in one hand, a beer in the other.

-Obviously, it’s early, but what are your predictions for the sack total for JPP? I have it at 3.5

-I’m interested to see how the Giants use Travis Beckum this year. He’s a H-Back, and he would be a great guy to stretch the seam. He reminds me a lot of Dustin Keller. But, Beckum was used mostly on special teams last year. I think that the GIants would be wise to split him out wide, and give him a chance to stretch the seam. It would be yet another weapon for Eli Manning.

-How is the running game going to be this year, you ask? I don’t know. If healthy, they should be okay. Jacobs and Bradshaw are a nice 1-2 punch. Throw in Andre Brown or DJ Ware, and it’s a nice trio. But, they haven’t been able to stay healthy, and the offensive line is yet another year older. I think Andre Brown could be key. If he can contribute, it will take pressure of Jacobs and Bradshaw, and allow them to rest. But, it’s a big if.

-How many chances does Sinorice Moss get? I want that gig.

-Food interlude: Spaghetti Carbonara is great. But it’s not great as leftovers. Trust me on this one. Eat the whole thing fresh.

-Don’t be surprised if Domenik Hixon has a big year. We all thought he was going to be the number one receiver last year, but a combination of Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks and injuries made that hard of Hixon. Still, if healthy, Hixon haas that game breaker ability. He could have a huge year as the number 3 receiver.

-Music interlude: I’m addicted to Los Lonely Boys. I’m waiting for ticket prices to go down for a concert near where I live. That would be awesome. This song, Crazy Dream, has been on repeat on my iTunes for a week now. It’s awesome.

[pro-player width=’530′ height=’253′ type=’video’]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg2DZgqOVlk[/pro-player]

-I know it’s not Giants, but the Jets on Hard Knocks will be awesome. Rex Ryan and HBO? Is there anything better? (Side note: Imagine Coughlin and the Giants on that show? Yeah, me neither)

-I have a strange feeling Perry Fewell will be “one and done”. If the Giants defense has a good year, he’ll be at the top of the list for head coaching vacancies.

-Health interlude: I just found out today that I have something called ureteropelvic junction obstruction (UPJ). Essentially, it’s an obstruction on the kidney, that impedes the flow of urine. It’s also been the source of my back pain. It’s congenital, and it will require surgery. You can read more here. They do this operation on babies all the time, because they test for it now, but they didn’t when I was a little one. It’s a minimally invasive surgery, and I’ll be out of the hospital in a day or two. I’m not worried, and I will use it as an excuse to watch TV and do nothing. I’m looking forward to the operation removing my back pain.

8 Responses to “Monday Thoughts And Musings”

1. CMH says:

– No way in the world they get a 2 for Cofield.

– I’m bullish on Linval as well.

– Hopeful that improved pass rush and return to health of Ross will help push Webster into fulfilling his potential.

– I really hope Caughlin has tasked Gilbride with incorporating both Beckum and Barden into the game plan. Both could create match up nightmares and open up holes in the opposition.

– Any official word on Brown’s physical condition?

– I am tired of Sinorice Moss. End that experiment.

– Hasn’t Manningham passed Dixon on depth chart and solidified hold on #3 slot?

– Good luch w the surgery. Hope it all goes well.

2. Jeremy says:

Fuchs I’m no parent just a college student but A beer for lunch is no problem. In my opinion it’s never, when you drink, its always how much you drink. And for the record before heading to the beach I’ve had a beer for breakfast. With Pancakes not with cereal.

I’ve been told that atleast one parent should be coherent while watching young children, for example I wouldn’t drink while babysitting someones kids. But in the case of the father you seen drinking if it was just one I can’t complain, but when your getting into the 3-4 range driving while intoxicated comes into question not only bad parenting.

PS: Thoughts and Musings is indeed a great segment, keep em’ comin’.

3. Shai says:

Post this link to twitter! I just happened to check the site because I’m so bored in class… which is why this Thoughts and Musings is great – always love some good reading material.

– Always liked Cofield, but yea, for #2 you gotta do the trade. What about for a #3? As for Linval Joseph, i dont watch much college football, but everyone is raving about him. Hopefully he stays healthy.

– Webster is a #1 corner, but i dont consider him a shutdown corner. For that, see Revis, Darrelle. As for his decline during the season, show me one player on defense who didn’t decline after week 5.

– I think GIlbride mentioned using Beckum more this year. He looks like a nice athletic tight end. With Darcy Johnson, Beckum will be in for all the 2 TE looks. I predict a couple of goal line scores for him off play-action.

– JPP 3.5 sacks –> I take the under (3)
    – Moss, enjoy your Giants jersey while you still can

– Yeah, Hixon is our #4, if Barden doesn’t overtake him. Manningham is clearly ahead of him. Barring injuries, I dont expect much from Hixon outside the return game.

– Good luck with the surgery. As us Jews say, have a “refuah shlema,” which means complete healing.

4. Erik says:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the dude, but Cofield is a guy with 6.5 sacks in four seasons, who anchored the d-line of one of the league’s worst defenses last year, and has never accumulated anything more than a mediocre stat line in a given season. Great role player, great character guy, loved having him here, but you’re dreaming if you think he’s worth more than a fifth-round pick.

5. andrew says:

fuchs…. what time do NFL games start — 1pm right?

think of it this way — how can you judge if it were a couple barley pops over a giants game and your kid was there? its a stretch i know, but 1pm is 1pm.

we americans have the wrong ideas about some things, and ive got to say a casual drink over lunch is one of them. you go to europe — spain for example, everyone is having a drink at these times. lunch, just after work — people go out for a drink and head back to take care of business.

granted its a SMALL drink, as in small glass…but a caña of amstel or a copa de rioja is no problem…. and then people go back to work and all is well.

i think a beer or cocktail at lunch is absolutely fine, but then again — moderation is the key to anything like that.

in any case, cheers!

6. Jeremy Fuchs says:

First off, thanks for the well-wishes.

As for the beer at the diner, it wasn’t the timing of it, more that he was drinking it in front of his child. I don’t have kids, so maybe I know nothing about this, it just seems to me that drinking while taking care of a young child is wrong.

On Cofield, the reported trade was for a 2nd round pick. Is he worth that? Probably not. But, if the Saints want him, and he fills a need, they’ll do what it takes to get him.

• Jeremy says:

As I stated above, drinking in front of kids is dangerous. I lose the remote when I drink on Football sundays, and kids move, I wouldn’t dare drink while watching Children.