What To Do With All These Receivers?

The Giants have a really good problem: They have too many receivers. Last year, they didn’t have enough. Well, the times they are a-changin’ (I’ve always wanted to use that in a sentence. It’s up there with “I rest my case!” and “That’s a wrap!”. But I digress). There are eight receivers fighting for 5 or 6 spots. For the sake of this exercise, we’ll say the Giants are taking six receivers.

4 of these receivers are guaranteed. Smith, Nicks, Manningham and Barden have their names etched in stone. It’s the other two spots. Four receivers for two spots. They are: Derek Hagan, Sinorice Moss, Tim  Brown and Victor Cruz.

On the depth chart, it reads like I just wrote: Hagan, Moss, Brown and Cruz. But depth chart does not reflect training camp performance.

I really think this is Sinorice Moss’s time to be released. He’s done nothing. He’s hurt now. It’s his time. There are more talented guys behind him.

That leaves 3 guys for two spots. And, problem is, all these guys have had great camps. Really great camps. Derek Hagan, who’s an ace special teams gunner, has really improved his hands. Tim Brown is short–5-6, if that–but the undrafted rookie from Rutgers gets open, holds onto the ball and has been really good on punt returns. A Darren Sproles-lite, they can use him in a lot of packages. Victor Cruz, the Paterson, NJ native, has had some great practices. The 6-1 undrafted rookie from UMASS has also received some great praise from Tom Coughlin:

“Victor Cruz! What do we need anybody for? We’ve got Victor Cruz. How about the plays he made this morning, huh? I’m serious. He’s made some outstanding plays. Yesterday, he was going by people out here. Hey, it would be a great thing, just keep adding to the group.”

Pretty high praise. To be honest, I’m torn.The fifth and sixth receiver are mainly special teams guys. And with Hagan being a great gunner and Brown showing a lot of promise at punt returner, they could be the lucky two. Still, do you risk losing Victor Cruz by trying to put him on the practice squad? Decisions, decisions.

Tell me what you think. Who should be the last two receivers to make the team: Moss, Hagan, Brown or Cruz.

8 Responses to “What To Do With All These Receivers?”

1. buljos says:

Hagan and Cruz. Release Moss already. So you wasted a 2nd round pick. No reason to hang on if the dog won’t hunt. Joseph was a big draft mistake, and it didn’t take em this long to say good-bye.

2. evaneezer says:

Before I go very far, remember that last year the Giants carried 7 WR on the roster –
    1. Smith
    2. Manningham
    3. Nicks
    4. Hixon
    5. Moss
    6. Hagan
    7. Barden

For the 2010 season, I think you’ve undervalued Hagan – the Giants love to carry a special teams ace at WR and he’s their guy. Combine that with his good work as a receiver this camp and there’s no way he goes home.

For the “final” spot, I think you have to consider the role of returner more than receiving potential. Cruz might be garnering high praise, but his value seems to be mainly as a receiver, and they already have their top 4 WR locks who will barely contribute to special teams, if at all. That puts it between Brown and Moss for the sixth spot in my book. If Brown really outshines Moss in the return game, I think the spot is his. But somebody in the organization values Moss’s leadership and attitude, so I wouldn’t be shocked if he somehow STILL held a spot.

3. Jeff H says:

I got to go with Hagan and Cruz, but probably a better question asked when we see a couple preseason games. Lets face it, we all know practice doesnt always translate to game day. I wont even mention who I had in mind with that statement.

4. Frank R says:

Hagan and Brown. Brown if he can be the punt returner is a no brainer. Too bad as Cruz won’t last long on our practice squad and would hate see him become the next Miles Austin. My opinion though is if Brown can be our punt returner he makes the team.

5. G says:

I hope: Hagan/Brown/Cruz.
    I predict: Hagan/Moss.

I just threw up a little.

6. DVision says:

I love Tiny Tim being that I’m a Rutgers fan, but Victor Cruz returned punts and kicks in college and Tim didn’t. Whomever performs better in the preseason will get the slot. It will all play itself out.

7. Jeremy Pasker says:

We will carry 7 recievers and sadly Moss will not be cut. Tim VS cruz for that last spot. Tim loses goes to practice squad.

8. […] What To Do With All These Receivers? […]