Player Profile: Deon Grant

In 2007, when Deon Grant was a free-agent, the Giants’ courted Grant hard trying to improve their secondary, but they were to late. Grant went to the Seattle Seahawks, had three productive seasons, and the Giants’ went on to win the Super-Bowl. According to Deon Grant, he always wanted to be a Giant.

“I wanted to be here when I went to Seattle (in 2007), but (the Giants) came into the picture late. This opportunity on the second go-round – it was destined. I’m happy about the coaching staff and my new teammates and I’m ready to help them win the Super Bowl again.” – Deon Grant

Deon Grant had a productive season with a bad Seahawks team last season, racking up 78 tackles, and registering an interception. The durable Grant hasn’t missed a start since his rookie season. Grant was released due to his large contract, which was a 6 year deal worth $30 million dollars. Grant wasn’t released due to his play, but with a new Head Coach, a large contract and the Seahawks getting younger, Grant was expendable.

The Giants' are hoping Deon Grant can provide much needed support and durability to the Giants' this season.

Run Support: Last season Deon Grant earned his stripes stopping the run. Grant had a great year against the run, something the Giants’ signed C.C. Brown to come in and do. They didn’t expect or want Brown to play much besides that, but when injuries happen, you have to go with the backups. Grant will come in and provide that run-stopping support the Giants’ desperately lacked last season.

Three on the Field: The Giants’ will use three safeties on the field at times this year, assuming Kenny Phillips healthy, which is a big if. If he is, you will see Grant, Phillips and Rolle all together on the field, which will be a huge package for the Giants. Aside from the “Big Base” or “NASCAR” if all three safeties are healthy, this may be the most productive and deadly package of the three. It isn’t as sexy, but it could very well be the best thing you’ve seen in a while.

What to Expect from Deon Grant in 2010?

Deon Grant will be a factor on defense for the Giants’ this season. With the uncertainty surrounding Kenny Phillips knee, you will likely see a lot of Deon Grant this season, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Grant is durable, he’s started 144 games in a row, he’s a veteran and most of all, he’s eager to win a ring. Grant will also be used in the three safety formation, which is something I’m looking forward to seeing this upcoming this season.

What do you think about the signing of Deon Grant?

7 Responses to “Player Profile: Deon Grant”

1. Kris Song says:

I thought, and still think, that this signing was a great move.

He is durable and provides veteran experience and leadership.

I don’t think he is anything close to a STAR, but he is right above average and that’s fine as our back-up. I have no problem playing him till KP can play full time.

I’m still realllllly bummed about Chad Jones…I wanted to see KP Chad Jones and Rolle play together….drool.

• jeremy Pasker says:

Grant is perfect as the replacement for what Michael Johnson was suppose to be last year, a dependable in the box safety who is competent in coverage. And I have full faith in Rolle being our play maker. Together they will be more than adequate.

And if Kenny can give us at least what he gave us his rookie year I will be content with that.

Last year we had in my opinion one great safety and that safety went down. Now we have at the very least 3 good safeties in Grant, Rolle and Kenny(knock on wood). Our safety situation is 20X better than last year.

On a side note A healthy Bradshaw, a healthy Eli, a healthy O-Line and if our receivers can all get out of the trainers room. Our Offense should be lights out and only improve from last year(again knock on wood).

Our Defense just needs to catch up with our Offense which I Hope they do and we will a respectable team come Sundays.

• JW says:

Jeremy: Last season, the Giants’ signed C.C. Brown to be the “In the box run stopper”, they pegged Johnson to be a starter last season, but we all know how things turned out. They had high hopes for Johnson, a few years back, after a solid rookie and sophomore season. As of now, Johnson is nothing more then depth, who they feel if in an emergency he could start. If Kenny is healthy and gives us what he showed last season, our secondary is going to be pretty darn good.

Kris: I agree, I wanted to see Chad Jones play too, but I don’t think he would have gotten much time. Johnson would have played over him this year.

buljos: I wouldn’t count on JPP making to many plays this season, or even seeing the field much, he’s still very raw.

Washington will be much improved, but nothing more than an 7-9 at best. Don’t forget, it was the Bills and it was the first pre-season game. The Eagles got worse, although I do like Kolb.

2. jeremy Pasker says:

I know it was just a preseason game and against the Bills but McNabb looked impressive. I’m starting to have doubts about sweeping Washington again.

• Kris Song says:

Haha don’t worry, it’s just the first game of pre-season. If we can beat McNabb on the Eagles, we can surely beat McNabb on the Skins.

Although the Skins are getting much better

3. buljos says:

Grant was a solid acquisition. Hat’s off to JR, again. The Safeties have talent and experience, and are no longer an issue that the Corners have to concern themselves with. These Corners have confidence they can count on these Safeties over the top, so they’ll be jumping routes and taking chances they wouldn’t take last season. Of course the rejuvenated front 7 will have a lot to do with that too. Kiwi looks to be a solid rusher and run stuffer, and with Osi’s head back on straight, Tuck, and JPP, they’ll be bringing some pressure. I see Sintim having a breakout season getting after the QB too. If those guys can stay healthy this season, obvious passing situations are going to be fun for this D.

4. JW says: