Burning Question 4: Does This Team Have Any Heart?

For those of you have been reading my stuff for awhile, you’ve probably noticed that I tend to pursue statistical analysis to supplement what my eyes are telling me about what is going on with the NY Giants.

But this is one question I’ll need your help answering because there is no statistical measure of heart. But it is perhaps the fundamnetally most important question the Giants need to answser during this season.

Is there any leadership on this team?

Is there any drive on this team…or are the players willing to rest on their 2007 season.

I think there is no denying that the Giants are one of the most talented teams in the league.

Eli Manning is a franchise Quarterback, Bradshaw is talented (as is Jacobs when healthy and motivated). The WR group is talented and the OL Plays well together (I think this year they are more talented athletically then they have been in a long time with Shawn Andrews, Will Beatty, and Mitch Petrus as the backups). The DL is LOADED with talent as is the secondary, (the linebackers are a question mark).

The 2007 Giants had Drive. They were road warrios. They played, perhaps, the toughest schedule in the league and they won all but one gameĀ on the road. The 2008 team was like that as well. They KNEW they were the better team and they came out and pounded it into you with submission.

And then the Plaxico Shot happened and the team has not played with that swagger since.

Burning Question #4 Do the Giants have any heart?

Let’s hear what you guys have to say. I think this is the biggest question abou the potential of the season as far as I’m concerned. (You can tie in with this question is their any player leadership? As coughlin lost the team? Are the players satisifed with being former Superbowl Champs and a .500 team).

Let’s hear it!

Speaking of “hearing it” from people. Brandon Jacobs has something to say (again!)

So I suppose I Should also relay the information about Brandon Jacobs unhappiness stemming from the inevitable position demotion.

via profootballtalk.com

No one’s your friend in this business,” Jacobs told ESPN.com. “This is a cutthroat, backstabbing business. That’s just the way it goes. It’s been like that before me. If you expect anything else out of a business like this, you’re crazy.”

Via The Newark star Ledger

It’s almost hard to stay positive in a situation like this, but that’s what I’ve got to do. If I would have stayed making minimum, this wouldn’t be a problem,” Jacobs said told ESPN New York. “Once you get paid, you’re always in danger of running into problems like this. It doesn’t matter who you are or what team or organization you play for, that’s just the way it is.”

I love watching Jacobs play on the field when he’s on and some of his interview stuff is funny to read, but I’m not really a fan of the griping from professional athletes. boo oo I’m getting paid millions of dollars to not start.

Don’t talk about it, be about it, Jacobs. Let’s go. Let’s see some fire. Take back your starting position.

8 Responses to “Burning Question 4: Does This Team Have Any Heart?”

1. lazlo d'almasy says:

my impression is that it was coughlin’s decision to systematically get rid of every giant with an emotional impact [good or bad] ever since ’08. that knock on the coop front door is the chicken’s coming home to roost.

2. Jeremy P. says:

that’s a great question. The Short answer is they’d better have or else.

3. DVision says:

Jacobs sounds like him and D Ward have been venting about this stuff to each other. Both haven’t done jack squat since getting that payday. I like Jacobs. I just wish he’d stop doing interviews and just play ball the way he knows how. Let your playing do the talking. RUN HARD when you get your chances and you will get more. Nothing good EVER comes from complaining to the media!!

Eli is a great leader and so is O’Hara, as is Tuck on defense, the problem is there’s a few guys on both sides that need to step up. I think Smith stepped up last year and hope he continues to lead by example, Boss needs to be a little more vocal since he’s been the biggest question mark that nobody from the front office bothered to ever answer in the last 2 years. Defensively the line needs to play off of eachother and go out, have fun and bust heads. The linebackers are a work in progress, just don’t embarass yourselves out there, and the secondary has to stop opposing teams YAC’s completely for a zone defensive scheme to work, and I think they might be able to do it. The one thing I saw in preseason that we didn’t see last year, is a mean streak on redzone defense, and I love seeing that, we need that this year. I think home games will be better for the G-men this year as real fans will be in the stands (being they released a good amount of tickets to the public this year) instead of 50% suits.
    About Jacobs comments, they probably got him at a time where he was feeling frustrated and he just let out whatever was on his mind, I don’t blame the guy, but hopefully this motivates him to step it up.
    Bottom line though is you’re as strong as your weakest link, so Mr. Boss and the linebackers need to prepare themselves to put the team on their backs.

5. buljos says:

Yes, this team has heart. They’ve got solid playmakers all over the field, and they play with intensity and pride. Heart they have. An inspirational personality who leads by example on the field and is universally recognized as the personification of the team’s heart… not since Strahan took off his cleats. Heart is easiest to evaluate when a team has taken a beat down in the first half… how do they finish? Do they continue to fight and scheme and play with fire and intensity without any hint of giving up? Or do you see players dejected, beaten, demoralized, wishing the clock would mercifully turn them loose to go get in street clothes and disappear. I see heart in guys like Boss, and O’Hara, Snee, Diehl, Boley, Bradshaw, Phillips, Smith… and a few others… they’ve got heart.

6. PC says:

i really think this a dumb question. why would you doubt the heart of this team man seriously, what kind of fan does that make you? This team has a tremendous amount of heart and integrity.
    I really can’t hang with Giant fans who get so down on the team cuz we had a one bad season in the last 6. The defense was hurt last year it happens its called football man. They are healthy this year and have a lot of great young HUNGRY TALENT!
    Maybe a better question to ask is have some of the fans lost their heart? Keep the faith man we have the talent to go all the way this year.

PS. Check out the latest SI issue it has the Giants predicted to go 11-5 and win the division. We have a better D cord and some solid leaders with all the heart in the world.