Mara: Coughlin Will Be Back

To end any doubt: According to the Daily News, John Mara said that Tom Coughlin will be back as the head coach of the New York Giants next year. Whether his assistants remain is unclear.

“There was never any doubt he was going to be back next season,” Mara said. “There was never any doubt in my mind. There was never any doubt in Steve Tisch’s mind. There was never any doubt in the organization’s mind.

“I told him that last week. I said ‘Don’t listen to all the nonsense. You’re going to be back next season. We still believe in you and we want you as your coach.”

13 Responses to “Mara: Coughlin Will Be Back”

1. PC says:

oh well it will be a while before we are back in the playoffs!

2. PC says:

OK??? WHAT ABOUT GILBRIDE????

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ANY VALID ARGUMENT ON WHY THIS JERK SHOULD STAY WITH THIS TEAM???

• Chris says:

Gilbride’s a bum. I hope he decides to retire or some college team lures him away. The G-Men should never have lost to the Titans and to the Eagles twice. They should be in the playoffs, but Coughlin didn’t get it done. If he doesn’t get in next year, he NEEDS to be done!!!

• uconnjoec says:

Gilbride going to UConn would be a huge benefit to both teams….I’m game

3. Francis T. Burke says:

It must be great to have the job security Tom has. You’re not held accountable for your staff’s poor performance and you know that before the last regularly scheduled game. No wonder the offensive screwups continue. Maybe Eli has the same assurances Tom has. It may partially explain why he makes the same stupid plays each game: backward shovel pass,throws into double coverage, etc.

There wasn’t double coverage, it hit his guys hands, it resulted in a gain of 10 yards as it went from sack to incomplete pass, and at no point was it in any risk of being picked off. The flip back to Bradshaw kind of scared me, but he was the only guy back there and you should expect your guys to secure the ball in that situation. He trusts his guys and I like that in a QB, how many QB’s can watch his WR’s tip balls in the air resulting in INTs and still trust his guys can make the plays, now do all that with the New York media hounding you about how they should’ve kept Rivers (who’s 12-4 Super Bowl bound Chargers fell a bit short of expectations eh??). I believe in Eli, I would like to see him step into his throws more, but you try doing that with your 4th string center and third option at LT protecting your blindside. Hopefully the OL issues are cleaned up and we get a playmaking tight end, allowing Boss to do more blocking up front and not key the opposition that we’re running it every time we bring in Beatty. Injuries killed us, not Eli, not Coughlin, the thing is it’s happening every year so maybe some new trainers need to come in.

4. Ray says:

Good move keeping Tom Coughlin.

There was improvement from 8-8 to 10-6.

The defense made strides this year.

Tough season with regards to injuries. Eli had to play quarterback with guys from the street at WR. Loss of Steve Smith was huge. Revamped offensive line. Ineffective running game. Too much pressure on Eli.

Hopefully the team will work on the offensive line (getting long in the tooth). We need to draft a running back who can hold onto the football and catch it as well. I was not impressed with Ahmad Bradshaw. Too many fumbles during critical points of the game.

This team is close.

Let’s hope for a good draft.

• Brooke says:

Mark Ingram’s stock has slid far enough where we might be able to scoop him at our pick. That would be an incredible steal.

5. jeremy P says:

I cant believe this is still a problem but our 1st round draft pick should be a LB.

• Brooke says:

Ya Jeremy…couldnt agree with you more. Our LBers get killed by the short passing schemes of the good QBs in the league. Plus, they are too slow of foot to cover passes (Goff), or too skimpy to stop the run (Boley). I think that was not talked about enough this year. We are the GIANTS…we have always had great LBers. We dont right now and the ones we have, had a solid season, it just doesnt produce wins against the best teams.

LBs are the second most important postiion to fill behind the QB.

6. jeremy P says:

or an athletic TE.

7. PC says:

The Seahawks are in the playoffs. I think that was the team we kicked the crap out of the most this year. They finished 7-9 and are in the playoffs pretty sickening. Pete Carroll is a terrible coach. Oh well just saying!

8. cryinginmybeer says:

This team still lacks discipline. In the last game of the season, they looked as bad as pre-season. I like Tom Coughlin, but I don’t see where the necessary change is going to come from. Only the Giants can make winning ten games look soooooooo bad.