Nnamdi Asmougha Enters Free Agency

In my last post I indentified my opinion of the Giants biggest needs and #2 was cornerback, well the Giants have a great opportunity to adress that need in Free Agency (and thus making it less necessary to go out and draft one or reach for a cornerback)

Nnamdi Asmougha, one of the two best cornerbacks in the league has had his contract voided and will enter free agency this off-season.

I really thought a few years ago that the Giants should have purused Asante Samuel, and they didn’t and I wonder if they regret that now.

With both the Cowboys and the Eagles needing cornerbacks the Giants should really consider putting together an offer to a player who can instantly upgrade the Giants defense.

13 Responses to “Nnamdi Asmougha Enters Free Agency”

1. Russo757 says:

This is the type of power move Reese needs to make. Sign this guy and instantly upgrade the D

2. Drew says:

I don’t know how much we need him, but if we got Nnamdi, we would have one of the top secondaries in the league. Fuckin’ beast.

3. Fumblesnout says:

I dont think they make a run at him because they are set with Webster at #1 and Thomas at #2. He’s an elite CB, probably 3rd after Revis and Bailey, but I don’t think the Giants will throw a lot of money at him since their CB need is more of a depth issue than a need for a starter.

4. Dan says:

This needs to happen now, do you know what a lock down corner would do for our defense? Imagine rushing four and taking away their best receiver, have fun trying to pass, ever.

5. Ed says:

Totally agree. The Giants should break the bank for this guy. The Jets Reavis shows the benefit of a “shoutdown corner.”

Also, I think Terrill Thomas sucks and is stupid to boot – with the after the play is over taunting. There is no place for that in the NFL today – it makes the taunter look like a jerk.

• Russo757 says:

Thomas had a pretty good year, better than Webster or Ross. He may be a showboat but he made plays and played hard. I’m happy to see someone on that D play with some spunk

6. Shrimp says:

Also This would be very beneficial since most teams #1 wide receiver always kills us…. Especially now in the NFC East against Bryant/Miles and Jackson/Maclin twice a year now. We could use a shut down corner!

• Actually, Shrimp, according to football outsiders.com the NY Giants were #2 in the league vs #1 WR, which makes sense because there wasn’t any #1 WR who burned us this year other than Calvin Johnson and Greg Jennings (reggie Wayne kind of too)

but other then that they did well vs #1 WR, and they faced a lot of good ones this year.

There is zero chance here, so don’t even get excited about this possibility. You’ve already reported here that Reese said they don’t plan on making any big signings until word comes about the CBA and what not. I’d say Steelers, Chargers, Cowboys, and Patriots, one of them is coming away with Nnamdi, and they can have him. He’s a great player, but the money that’s going to be required to sign him is going to be QB money, and in my opinion, CB’s are overpaid as a whole in this league. Smith, Kiwi, Grant, Bradshaw, and Hixon should be their top priorities, then looking for a real deal LB. I’m hoping beyond anything that the new cap is fair but flexible.

8. reds says:

Asmougha along with our D= best in league!!! Hey just wanted to say HappyNew Year,,an thanks for your hard work keeping us informed and in the chat!…