Former Giants WR Tyree Shouts in Support to Stop Gay Marriage

The debate over same sex marriage in the state of New York has been a huge topic as of late, and now that debate is spreading over into the world of sports with a former Giants legend.

At least a legend for one play.

That one play of course comes from Super Bowl XLII hero David Tyree, who pulled in what some think is still the biggest and best play in Super Bowl history, holding a ball against his head and fighitng off Pats safety Rodney Harrison to eventually set up the game-winning score in the 17-14 win.

Tyree, who has since left the game, is a huge advocate against gay marriage, spoke to New York Daily News about the subject, saying he would be happy to give the catch back if he could stop gay marriage.

Tyree, who called the catch a “gift” he couldn’t repeat if he tried, said “there’s nothing worth more than [maintaining heterosexual marriage] right here for me.”

Asked if he’d give up the Super Bowl to stop gay marriage, Tyree said: “Honestly, I probably would.”

“Nothing means more to me than that my God would be honored,” he said. “Being the fact that I firmly believe that God created and ordained marriage between a man and a woman, I believe that that’s something that should be fought for at all costs.”

“So I’ll lay down everything I am to preserve the honor and integrity of the God that I serve.”

He said his new role as a gay marriage opponent sheds deeper meaning on his Super Bowl catch. “Perhaps God orchestrated that play to give me a platform for what I’m doing here today: To urge political leaders all over our nation to reject same-sex marriage,” he said.

Agree with Tyree or not, you have to give him credit for sticking up for what he believes in, and stating how he feels. Most players would never tackle such a hot topic, or more so would say they would give back the biggest play of their career for something they believe in.

There is a chance that a vote this week to legalize gay nuptials, advocates on both sides of the issue will take place. Tyree will continue to voice his opinion for what he believes in.

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

10 Responses to “Former Giants WR Tyree Shouts in Support to Stop Gay Marriage”

1. jeremy P. says:

Has Tyree ever heard of separation of Church and state, marriage is no longer solely a union under god, it also has legal stipulations involving healthcare, insurance, fiscal security among others. Besides, the condition that marriage is in currently–the divorce rate is comical–allowing gays to marry couldn’t possibly make it worse.

2. James says:

The tradition understanding of a catch is between a hand and a helmet, no a hand and a hand.

3. BoomKentucky says:

Hey Tyree, God made us in an image of him. He is also the only one that is allowed to judge. If it is wrong then your God will decide in the end. I think God would perfer you to spend your time helping others than making some people’s lives miserable. Will it harm you if they were allowed to get married, the answer is no. It will have no affect on your life or your God.

4. wayne says:

Yup…..he loves heterosexuality so much he conceived 2 of his kids outside marriage……..kinda like that divorced minister Ruben Diaz, who is now “protecting marriage”……..where does NOM find these people??????

5. Glenn says:

I think the problem with gay marriage or any other gay issue is that the rest of us are forced to accept things we dont agree with. Please dont give me the civil rights speech, I feel that the gay life style is just that, a life style. Gays can have a ceramony at a gay friendly church. In most states gays have domestic partner privileges. If gay marriage laws are past our ministers and religious leaders will be open to lawsuits for not preforming ceramonies they dont feel are appropriate. I and people who feel like I do are always told to open our minds an accept other people for who they are, OK! Accept and respect my feelings too! Keep your private relationships like they should be, private. Thanks David for taking a stand. Go Giants.

6. CHeeKZ Money says:

Glenn that makes no sense and shows you lack a general understanding of religious law. You can’t sue to force someone to perform a religious ceremony. And living in a society with people who differ from you, you have to realize they are going to do things you don’t agree with. Doesn’t mean you should use Law to stop them from doing it.

@James… that was the funniest thing I ever read.