Plaxico Burress Signs With…. The Jets

Plaxico Burress will reamin in the big apple. Just not with the Giants. The now former Giants WR signed a 1-year $3,000,017 deal, fully guaranteed. The “extra” $17,000 is because he’ll return to his former number, 17.  Per a source with knowledge of the process, it was “all about Rex” for Plaxico. The Giants appeared to be the favorites at first to sign Plaxico, it just didn’t seen like it would happen. The Jets will face the Giants on Christmas eve. What a reunion that will be for the former Giants WR. As upset as some Giants fans are right now, you have to remember Plaxico Burress was in prison for 21 months and is 34 years old. We have no idea how good he’ll be, or if he’ll be the same. The Giants still have good WR’s who are young. Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Steve Smith (needs to get healthy) Dominick Hixon, Ramses Barden, Victor Cruz and third round pick Jerrel Jernigan.

Taking care of DE Osi Umenyiora became a lot more important now, didn’t it?

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

13 Responses to “Plaxico Burress Signs With…. The Jets”

1. CMH says:

Happy to hear this. Will always love Plax for what he did in that great playoff run, but we need to invest that kind of cash in other areas of the team. I’d rather watch the young guys like Barden, Jernigan and Cruz step up and contribute.

Hope he does well w the Jets.

2. AKM says:

This is disappointing but more emotionally then what it will mean on the field. I don’t understand how the jets and Eagles can make all these moves and the Giants can’t get anything going. Is it that none of our guys can will rework their deals or what?? Was this Jerry Reese’s plan? We got NO free agents, cut two key linemen and can’t find the $ to sign Bradshaw, Boss and Smith? What’s going on??

• JW says:

AKM: Will have a post up on Reese eventually, stay tuned. As I said earlier, all free agents who sign with another team, and players who restructure a deal can’t practice until August 4th, because of the CBA. So it makes sense for these guys to wait and see if anything else comes up.

3. BlueFanFla says:

4. BlueFanFla says:

I used to be a big big Reese Fan. I know the signing period has been really condensed, but except for Baas, the guy has done nothing to help the offense. And you are correct, othe GM’s seem to know how to get quality players within the salary structure.

Realistically I dont give us much a a chance to win the division with the job that the Eagles GM has done this shortened signing period. I hope I am wrong.

I am also not a big Eli fan, but neither do I want to see him get killed. I fear that will happpen though with no significant upgrades to the OL, and the cuts of the veterans. I also fear about how many interceptions he will throw. And I mean strictly againt the Eagles with the quality CB’s they have now.

Like I said, I used to be a Reese fan, but he hasn’t shown me anything since his first draft.

Good luck to Sanchez on this one, the guy doesn’t run routes, and for a young QB who has hardly looked impressive, that’s going to be a rough thing for him to handle. I’m just glad he isn’t going to the Eagles, Vick doesn’t know how to actually play QB so a guy not running routes wouldn’t have affected him.
    I really don’t mind that other teams are making moves, but what the hell is taking so long on the Bradshaw front?? We should have him, Smith and Boss all signed up by now and looking at Zach Miller and Todd Heap (reports are Heap’s meeting the Jets today, someone get him over here for a few minutes!!).

• JW says:

Jason C: All free agents who sign with another team, and players who restructure a deal can’t practice until August 4th, because of the CBA. So it makes sense for these guys to wait and see if anything else comes up.

Normally, but this is the Drew Rosenhaus show now, and IMO if the Giants tire of this, Bradshaw will end up losing money as nobody will be left to pay him what he wants.

6. CMH says:

Zach Miller would be a great addition. I think he’s one of the best all around TEs in the game. Good kid too.

Seattle just cut Lofa Tutupu. Would he fit here?

Dolphins close to Miller, Lions got Tulloch. Ravens got Leach, now we just need the Eagles to swoop in and grab Tatupu, while we pow wow with Rosenhaus and Bradshaw, and we sit with our new toy, a punter…

• JW says:

CMH: Lofa would fit here, but he will be way to expensive, and the Giants probably can’t afford him.

• JW says:

CMH: Miller is one heck of a talent, but will likely price himself out of the Giants range. The Giants don’t use TE’s enough for them to spend that kind of money on one. They’ve never utilized there TE’s well. Shockey and Boss are perfect examples.

Lofa Tutupu would fit well here but he, too, will be to expensive. The Giants would rather pay money to there defensive line anyways. He probably won’t be a Giant.

7. Geeeeemen says:

Just saying, $3,000,017 is an extra $17, not $17,000. I think the actual deal was $3,017,000.