Rocky 2: Giants sign Rocky Bernard

A week after the Giants and DT Rocky Bernard couldn’t agree to restructure his contract, he was released. Now, just a week later, he’s back. Bernard, who had a base salary of $2.95 million for this season prior to being released, had 18 tackles and two sacks last year. Linval Jospeh remains the favorite to land the starting spot next to Chris Canty with both Marvin Austin and now Rocky Bernard backing him up. The Giants have now added depth at the position by signing both Bernard and Gabe Watson.

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

13 Responses to “Rocky 2: Giants sign Rocky Bernard”

1. CMH says:

Hope it was cheap.

Need to get Boss done. Can’t go into season with Watson and Beckum as your TEs.

2. Jared says:

I wonder if they were losing faith in the young guys and they thought maybe they should bring back the experienced guys.

• JW says:

Jared: Doesn’t seem that way. Both head coach Tom Coughlin and defensive coordinator have raved about both Joseph and Austin, so I think it’s more a need of veteran depth and a run-stopping presence more then anything. Depth never hurt anyone.

• Jared says:

I hope so. I am a little nervous over our DTs. Has Tatupu been signed anywhere yet?

• Jared says:

Would he be an upgrade to our LBs? Or are the young guys going to step it up?

• JW says:

Jared: He’d absolutely be an upgrade to the Giants defense. But the Giants are content with what they have at the LB position. With the little cap space they have, they’ll spend it on Boss and Smith. No room cap space wise for Tatupu who will be expensive. Giants haven’t brought him in for a visit, either.

• JW says:

Jared: Not at the moment, no. It’s still unlikely he goes to the Giants. It doesn’t seem like they have enough cap space, either.

3. chri says:

at least he ain’t starting and matter fact I hope he is 4th behind my dc boy Austin

4. Joe says:

Hopefully they were able to downsize that salary figure. Every little bit helps in the Boss situation.

I keep hoping every morning I wake up, I can visit this site and see the headline “Boss signed”.

• JW says:

Joe: Thanks for being a loyal reader, and continue to be! We appreciate it a lot. As much as Boss wants to be on the West Coast and closer to home, I still think he winds up back in New York. We sall see, though.

5. chri says:

I think boss gone but I hope he stay he got the upper hand since zack got signed

6. Jared says:

What about Steve Smith? I know he is coming off knee surgery, but he is still going to be clutch during our playoff run!! 🙂

We really don’t need Smith. We need to save what cap space is left in case of an injury to a key player. Or if we have to trade for a player because of an injury or poor pre-season performance from a key player who was expected to take over a position or be a backup.

Having a few dollars left under the cap is a luxury for a team with this much talent. Why waste it?

Suddenly someone might become available that can really help the team so you need a few extra dollars under the cap just in case. That’s the way I would play it if I were Reese.

We look good the way we are and I expect all the young receivers to really step up and provide speed we never had at the WR position and YAC a player like Smith does not provide. He does some things well but speed and YAC is not his forte.

Plus he is still injured, why lock up a player with a contract who is not ready to play and might not be for a while?

I think the play of Jake Ballard made Boss expendable. He’s a very good blocker and the same size as Boss.