Is Eli In The Same Class As Tom Brady?

Eli Manning doesn’t lack for hubris, that’s for sure. When asked if he was in the same class as Tom Brady, here’s what Eli had to say:

“I consider myself in that class,” Manning said. “Tom Brady is a great quarterback, he’s a great player and what you’ve seen with him is he’s gotten better every year. He started off winning championships and I think he’s a better quarterback now than what he was, in all honesty, when he was winning those championships.

“I think now he’s grown up and gotten better every year and that’s what I’m trying to do. I kind of hope these next seven years.”

Eli has been criticized for his answer. To that I say, what was he supposed to say? That he sucks? I want my quarterback believing he’s the best. Now, onto the pressing question. Is Eli in the same class as Brady?

The general accepted version of the Top 3 QBs goes like this: Brady, Peyton, Brees. That order is debated. After that there are a bunch of other QBs who are in contention to be next in line. Eli is one of them. Let’s compare Brady and Eli.

Eli:

CAREER STATSMORE
Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2010 New York Giants 16 16 339 539 62.9 4,002 7.4 31 25 16 117 85.3 32 70 2.2 0 7 5
2009 New York Giants 16 16 317 509 62.3 4,021 7.9 27 14 30 216 93.1 17 65 3.8 0 13 8
2008 New York Giants 16 16 289 479 60.3 3,238 6.8 21 10 27 174 86.4 20 10 0.5 1 5 2
2007 New York Giants 16 16 297 529 56.1 3,336 6.3 23 20 27 217 73.9 29 69 2.4 1 13 7
2006 New York Giants 16 16 301 522 57.7 3,244 6.2 24 18 25 186 77.0 25 21 0.8 0 9 2
2005 New York Giants 16 16 294 557 52.8 3,762 6.8 24 17 28 184 75.9 29 80 2.8 1 9 2
2004 New York Giants 9 7 95 197 48.2 1,043 5.3 6 9 13 83 55.4 6 35 5.8 0 3 1
TOTAL 1,932 3,332 58.0 22,646 6.8 156 113 166 1,177 80.2 158 350 2.2 3 59 27

Brady:

CAREER STATSMORE
Season Team Passing Rushing Fumbles
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2010 New England Patriots 16 16 324 492 65.9 3,900 7.9 36 4 25 175 111.0 31 30 1.0 1 3 1
2009 New England Patriots 16 16 371 565 65.7 4,398 7.8 28 13 16 86 96.2 29 44 1.5 1 4 2
2008 New England Patriots 1 1 7 11 63.6 76 6.9 0 0 0 0 83.9
2007 New England Patriots 16 16 398 578 68.9 4,806 8.3 50 8 21 128 117.2 37 98 2.6 2 6 4
2006 New England Patriots 16 16 319 516 61.8 3,529 6.8 24 12 26 175 87.9 49 102 2.1 0 12 4
2005 New England Patriots 16 16 334 530 63.0 4,110 7.8 26 14 26 188 92.3 27 89 3.3 1 4 3
2004 New England Patriots 16 16 288 474 60.8 3,692 7.8 28 14 26 162 92.6 43 28 0.7 0 7 5
2003 New England Patriots 16 16 317 527 60.2 3,620 6.9 23 12 32 219 85.9 42 63 1.5 1 13 5
2002 New England Patriots 16 16 373 601 62.1 3,764 6.3 28 14 31 190 85.7 42 110 2.6 1 11 5
2001 New England Patriots 15 14 264 413 63.9 2,843 6.9 18 12 41 216 86.5 36 43 1.2 0 12 3
2000 New England Patriots 1 0 1 3 33.3 6 2.0 0 0 0 0 42.4
TOTAL 2,996 4,710 63.6 34,744 7.4 261 103 244 1,539 95.2 336 607 1.8 7 72 32

Brady’s been around longer, so he’s going to accumulate more stats. That said, Eli’s completion percentage is 58.2, Brady’s is 63.6. Not too far off. Brady has a better passing rate. Brady has thrown for 1.8 touchdowns a game in his career, .72 interceptions a game. Eli has thrown for 1.48 touchdowns per game, 1.07 interceptions per game. No doubt there’s a difference there. Eli throws way too many interceptions. But he’s close in touchdowns, in accuracy. He’s not far off. But he’s not with Brady.

If I had to rank the QBs in the NFL, based on what I think and nothing else, it would go like this:

1. Brees
  2. P. Manning
  3. Brady
  4. Rodgers
  5. Vick
  6. Roethlisberger
  7. Rivers
  8. Eli
  9. Ryan
  10. Freeman

Guys like Flacco, Romo and Schaub would come next. I think Brees is the best QB in the game, for what he does for the Saints. Manning and Brady are close behind. Look at this list. Look at the people with rings: Brees, Brady, both Mannings, Big Ben and Rodgers. That’s it. Eli is one of the few QBs with rings. Rivers doesn’t have one.

Eli gets a bad rap, mostly for interceptions, mostly for being the younger Manning, and for that “aw shucks” look he has. But Eli is good. Really good. He’s not in Brady’s class. But only two are. He’s right behind them. And that’s okay. There are only a few QBs I would rather have than Eli. He’s not the best. He’s elite. He’s not Tom Brady. Not many are. That top 3 of Brees, Peyton and Brady are pretty much untouchable. Rodgers is the closest. I think no matter how you look at it, Eli is a top 10 QB. And people are upset about that? I would take a top 10 QB any day of the week. Doesn’t hurt that he knows how to win and is money in clutch situations. I’m quite happy with Eli as my QB. His comments might have been a bit over the top, but I’m glad he’s finally showing his confidence.

21 Responses to “Is Eli In The Same Class As Tom Brady?”

1. bd98711 says:

I think Vick is given too much credit. Maybe I’m a biased Giants fan but I think its too early to crown him as a top 5 QB after one season. I heard a stat that out of all the throws that could have been intercepted last year, Eli had %50 of his picked off and Vick only had like %10. So Vick was lucky last year. We’ll have to see if the league catches up to him this year. I’m going Brady/Manning 1 and 2 (in no order), 3 is Rodgers, 4 is Brees, 5 is Rivers, etc. Eli is somewhere in the 10-12 range. And I’m not an Eli hater. I like Eli. I think he’s a very good QB.

• david says:

Where does Eli Manning rank among quarterbacks in the NFL? It’s a question that’s been debated ever since he entered the league.

It’s due to the fact that Manning’s the quarterback of the New York Giants. It’s because he’s the younger brother of one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. Some may not like the way Eli’s camp handled the 2004 draft. And there may even be some jealousy involved, a little anti-Manning if you will.

I’m not here today to tell you where Manning ranks; I’ll save that for another day. Instead, it’s worth noting two details about the Giants’ franchise quarterback that have been overlooked.

First, Manning won a Super Bowl in February 2008. Isn’t that the goal? Yes, there have been some average QBs who have won the title (Jim McMahon, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson come to mind), but most of the Super Bowl winners have been led by top-notch signal callers. Manning is one of them.

Next – and this one is mostly for Giants fans – remember where this team was during the mid-90s? I do. Dave Brown, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, and Danny Kanell (who did take the team to the playoffs in the 1997 season). When Phil Simms was a Giant, I remember hearing about how he was underappreciated, that when he was no longer around people would understand how good he was and realize how much they took him for granted. It was true. The same can be said for Manning.

Nowadays, it seems some rank quarterbacks by how flashy they are and how many headlines they generate.

I’ll take Super Bowls over magazine covers any day. Productivity over hype. Results over talk. I’ll take Eli Manning. No matter where you think he ranks.

2. phabriss says:

I’m sorry but I really don’t like your top 10. Jere is what i think it should look like

1.Brady (he’s #1 over Peyton only because of 2 more rings and last season performance )
    2.Manning (2nd best QB NFL history after Montana)
    3.Brees (can’t be #1 because before he was with the saints, he was just ok, then last year he wasn’t great)
    4.Rodgers (he will be #1 very soon)
    5.Roethlisberger (as much as i hate him, he’s here because he wins games and championships)
    6.Rivers (rings will put him in front of Big Ben)
    7.Eli (INT put him so low)
    8.Vick (one season is not enough to put him #5)
    9.Flacco (he leads his team in the playoffs 3 years in a row adn has won road playoff games, Ryan never did such thing)
    10.Sanchez (2 AFC championship games his first two years)

11.Ryan
    12.Schaub
    13.Freeman
    14.Romo
    15.Orton

3. dave bassman says:

Perfectly well said.. Eli is Very Good, not great.. his stats will never compare to other QB’s because of how the Giants are built and where they play. the meadowlands will never have a super elite QB. the giants are a running team and as such, the QB will never have great stats and the accolades that come with it. All that being said, hes shown over and over that he leads his team on drives when they need it before half time after they let up a TD or at the end of the game to win it. Name another QB who led his team on TWO 4th Quarter comeback TD drives in the SUPER BOWL to WIN IT. there isnt one.. hes a winner, and Im happy to have him.. his detractors say he has the deer in the headlights look and he throws too many interceptions.. that same deer in the headlights look enables him to remain calm under pressure and his picks last year after further review from me, 11 of them were very unlucky (thats more than half), off of helmets, shoulder pads, in the hands, wrong routes, tipped, etc..

bottom line, hes a top 10 QB in this league with a ton of good QB’s!!

IMO Brees isn’t even that high up, I don’t see what everyone loves about this guy, sure he puts up big numbers, and that helped nicely on ONE magical run to the Super Bowl, but I’m very interested in how he performs this year with no Shockey or Bush, I bet it’s an “off” season for him (or at least that’s what people will call it).
    Rivers is THE most overrated quarterback in the NFL, he has had a top notch defense almost his whole career, he played with the best player in the league for a number of years, has the most talented TE in the business as his safety net and on top of all that, has a bad attitude that would come up anywhere but the easygoing town of San Diego.
    That said my top 10 would look like this.

Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Eli, Ben, Vick, Brees, McNabb, Rivers, Romo

After that performance by Ryan (and Flacco for that matter) in the playoffs last year I don’t know how anyone can list him in the top 10 QB’s, he has a LONNNNNNNG way to go.

5. BoomKentucky says:

Good job but I would put Eli above Rivers.

6. BlueManFla says:

IMO Eli isn’t even that high up, I don’t see what everyone loves about this guy, sure he puts up big numbers (especially inteceptions), and that helped nicely on ONE magical run to the Super Bowl, but I’m very interested in how he performs this year with no Boss or Smith, I bet it’s an “off” season for him (or at least that’s what people will call it).

• dave bassman says:

Dont forget.. after that “lucky” or “magical” run to the SB, he went 11-1 before Burress shot himself and the team was crushed by injuries.. Everyone said Eli would suck without burress, then the next year, without plax, Smith had over 100 receptions and he led the league in completions to WR’s, and without plax the WR core, with rookies and unknowns (Nicks, Manningham, etc), has been fantastic in an uninventive offense.. sure smith is gone this year, but last year, he still passed for over 4,000 yards and the interceptions (most of em) were not his fault.. I would guess hes gonna have the same production out of these WR’s as he did without Burress..

• jason says:

” I’m very interested in how he performs this year with no Boss or Smith”

I think i heard this before. Its always now that (barber, buress, toomer, shockey,etc) are gone i wonder how eli will perform. isn’t this getting tiresome to say every year?

so now its smith and boss. What will eli do without them?

i saw our entire receiving corp go down last year, for games at a time and he was still there every sunday doing what it takes to try any win the game.

He’s a classic Eli hater, he’d rather have Philip Rivers because we see how he’s done with LT, Gates, the best defense in football on a number of occasions, multiple home playoff games, etc. etc.

• BlueManFla says:

Dave and Jason

I think you guys need to read all the post. My comments were strickly a parody of the first paragraph of another comment on this blog. The one that tried to convince evryone that Eli was in Breese’s class.

I tried to be civil this time around, but you’re still on my jock old man?? Let’s do this.

• BlueManFla says:

MY MY janie (OOPS I mean Jason) arent our feathers ruffled.

I am not really sure why you always take any criticism of Eli as a personal attack on you manhood. You seem to regard anyone who even remotely refers to Eli in a negative tone as an Eli hater. WRONG!!

I am not an Eli hater. But I am also not an Eli groupie like you seem to be. Being a good Giant fan does not mean always agreeing with management, the coarches or a players performance.

The point I was trying to make was that the same arguments you used for Brees could also apply to Eli if someone is objective enough, and was not always looking through rose colored glasses. I just don’t think Eli is an elite QB.

Now we Giant fans can argue back and forth since we have never played or coached in the NFL, but if the NFL players did not vote Eli in the top 100 players in the NFL last year, then that’s pretty convincing to me.

Eli is a good QB especially for the Giants since he seems to be a good game manager. The Giants have been and probably always will be a smash mouth fotball team. Eli will thrive with them. However, putting him in the elite class is a stretch.

So have a nice day.

OH by the way, make sure you put on a clean jock before you go out today

7. Thank you for this list and the numbers. Love it! I have never understood why people want to hate on Eli so much!!!

I proudly wear my #10 jersey every Sunday.

8. pataroons says:

how is Vick that high up?
    CATEGORY – – – – – – ELI – – – – – – – – – -VICK
    Cmp% – – – – – – – – – 58% – – – – – – – – 55%
    Passing TDs – – 156 (1.5 per start) – – – 93 (1.17 per start)
    yds/game – – – – — – 215 – – – – – – – – – 149
    int % – – – – – – – – – – – 3.4 – – – – – – – – 2.7
    sack % – – – – – – – – – 4.7 – – – – – – – – – 9.5
    rush yds/gm – – – – – – 3.3 – – – – – – – – – 47
    rush TD/gm – – – – – – .03 – – – – – – – – – .32
    fumbles/gm – – – – – – .56 – – – – – – – – – .67
    QB rating – – – – – – – – 80.2 – – – – – – – – 80.2
    Total offensive output
    yds/game – – – – – – – – 218 – – – – – – – – 196
    TDs/game – – – – – – – 1.54 – – – – – – – 1.49

Record – – – – – – – – – 64-46 – – – – – – – 48-33-1
    win % – – – – – – – – – – 58.1 – – – – – – – – 57.8
    Superbowls – – – – – – – 1 – – – – – – – – – 0
    years in jail – – – – – – – 0 – – – – – – – – – 2

The years in jail ‘stat’ is only partially to be a jerk, but I think it weighs heavily on the overall worth of a football player. Vick let his team down in a major way. In the meantime, Eli has been a model citizen.
    Eli has started 103 straight games.
    Vick started 79 out of 160 possible games, and has only played ONE full season in 10 years! (yes, I’m being completely ridiculous by including the seasons that he didn’t play in the league because he got caught killing dogs).
    Winner: Eli

Vick’s ranking is based more on having to be able to gameplan for his run ability in addition to the weapons he has on offense, though I agree in the wrong situation he’s not going to be in the top 10 on anyone’s list. I loved how he looked yesterday, unfortunately it’s just the preseason, but DeSean didn’t look very interested in doing anything for him, maybe he’s still holding out at heart.

9. Peter Mercurio says:

Jeremy do your homework. You really should b e more thorough about Rivers. He plays in a better climate, has a windless stadium, is in a humpty dumpty conference and has not won a damn thing. He plays 2teams that cannot get out of their own way twice each year. You must like Rivers because he “looks like a quarterback ” more tha Ely does

10. adam says:

Top Ten QBS:

1. Peyton Manning IND (Averages 4,217.5 yards and 30.7 touchdowns throughout his 13-year career).)

2. Tom Brady, NE (Addition of Ochocinco helps, but his surrounding cast has been better).

3. Aaron Rodgers, GB (three straight seasons of over 30 combined touchdowns).

4. Phillip Rivers, SD (Threw for 4,710 yards with Jackson, Gates, Mathews, and Floyd missing a combined 26 games in 2010).

5. Drew Brees, NO (Even though he threw a career high 22 interceptions, he still managed over 4,600 yards and 30 touchdowns).

6. Michael Vick, PHI (The most dangerous fantasy player, but injuries limit his true potential).

7. Matt Ryan, ATL (“Matty Ice” is as smooth as a cold beer on a hot summer day).

8. Tony Romo, DAL (Romo will rebound nicely from a broken collar bone on his none-throwing shoulder).

9. Ben Roethlisberger, PIT (Big Ben is a proven leader with two Super Bowl victories).

10. Joe Flacco, BAL (Flacco has 4 playoff wins in the last three years alone).

The Cut:

11. Eli Manning, NYG (Manning has thrown 113 interceptions and lost 27 fumbles in his last 103 games alone).

12. Matt Schaub, HOU (9,140 passing yards in the last two years).

For football information, check out this site:

Great rankings, bios, stats, blogs, schedules, and weekly waiver wire for free agents.

Did anyone else see the NUMBER ONE SEED Atlanta Falcons against the Packers last year in the playoffs?? That game alone knocks Ryan out of the top 10, he looked worse than Landry Fields did for the Knicks in their playoff run this year (for all them b-ball fans out there).

• BoomKentucky says:

I think its questionable to all these players ahead of Eli Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, and Matt Schuab ahead of Eli. I think Schuab is the only question mark but when you have Andre Johnson you better have big time numbers. Also Joe Flacco wins a lot of games because of the defense. But after the top 2 or 4 QBs its hard to really rank them because they are pros and everybody has a different situation.

Eli is stuck in a system offense, who knows what he could have done stat wise or even another super bowl had we been blessed with a top quality OC and not Gilbride. Just my opinion.

Ranking QBs without taking into consideration their offense overall and OC/HC means nothing. Many Qbs in the NFL never were able to even learn the positiobecausese they were either changing NC every season on them or had a terrible Oline. Maybe David Carr or Joey Harrington was the second coming, we’ll never knobecausese they were sacked intoblivionon.