Thoughts and Musings

Hey, a win’s a win, and the Giants beat a good Bills team to move to 4-2 on the year

-Eli Manning played one of his best games in some time. Beyond the accuracy, and the lack of mistakes, Manning made all the right throws, and made it look easy. His 60 yard pass to Nicks was picture perfect. The throw to Manningham, even though it was dropped, was a perfect throw. He escaped pressure well, and did not let an opportunistic Bills defense make any plays. Just a tremendous game.

-Ahmad Bradshaw stepped up. 3 touchdowns, big runs in clutch time. Hey, I’ve been on Bradshaw this year, but he deserves praise. I still think the offense is better with Jacobs in there, but Bradshaw made us forget about Jacobs just a bit.

-I’m loving Jake Ballard. Talk about a guy, undrafted, reputation as just a blocker, who has established himself as a reliable and dangerous pass catcher. Teams are going to have to start focusing on him.

-If JPP is not a top 10 DE by now, he won’t be by the end of the season. Because he’ll be a top 5. My oh my, is this kid the real deal.

-The knock coming out of him in college was that he was raw. And that was true. But the Giants were so smart in bringing him along slowly, using him first on just special teams, then on just passing downs. I think, with any rookie, that’s the best way to do it. Bring them along slowly,¬†ingratiate¬†them with the team and the system.

-Corey Webster. Could not have won the game without you. Yes, he got beat on the Stevie Johnson touchdown, but other than that, he was flawless. The interceptions were awesome.

-Osi Umenyiora looks just terrific out there. There was one play, wasn’t a sack, but he he looked like he was shot out of a canon on the snap.

-Fred Jackson is a damn good player. From tiny Coe College in Iowa.

-I think the back 7 really needs work. Deon Grant is not the answer. I don’t know who is. But, I think keeping Greg Jones out there more might help. Antrel Rolle needs to be out in coverage, not down in the box. Maybe put Grant in the box. Or try more with Jaicquan Williams. Grant just cannot be the last line of defense.

-Lawrence Tynes is on a bit of a roll, isn’t he?

-The Giants have the bye. Use it to get healthy. Miami is not a good team. That’s not to say to overlook them. Don’t. But the Giants should be well rested and well prepared for them in two weeks.

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

6 Responses to “Thoughts and Musings”

1. Buster Brown says:

You spent the other day saying Boothe is not a capable starter, but from what I saw he played like one yesterday. Better than even Diehl. Give back some love hater!

2. PC says:

Agreed Boothe is much improved player this year. I am really excited to have our guys healthy and back for Miami. Any word on Ramses Barden? is he gonna play against Miami?

3. PC says:

Jake Ballard make me forget all about Kevin Boss. Also Steve Smith is a big dud this year so I gotta say maybe Reese knew what he was doing in letting him go sign with the Eagles. He hasn’t done squat yet and his knee may be holding him back.
    Cruz is gonna be way better in his career than Smith I have a good feeling. I also think Ballard is out performing Boss too. That is very good work credited to our GM.

4. bd98711 says:

Overall very good showing from the Giants. The defense was sluggish in the 1st quarter but they stepped up after that. Eli played a great game. The stats dont really show it because he didnt have any TDs, but he made some unbelievable throws. The one to Nicks, Manningham *which he dropped in the endzone), and a few other notable ones. He didnt make any BAD throws (actually one that almost cost the Giants the game. They won the turnover battle and made plays in the red zone when needed. Nothing fancy about this game for the Giants. Just good old fashion football.

Agree about Deon Grant, he looks like a guy that signed late after a long lockout, maybe because he is, but that’s not going to cut it here.

Their are people in the Giant’s organization I believe and those I do not. One I do is Reese, he has gotten a lot of talent for the team and let go of people at the right time. I have very little issues with Jerry Reese. As for the coaching staff, there’s not enough room here for the things I see and the explanations I would love to hear from them.

I knew about Ballard from his Ohio state days and was shocked we cut him. He was behind the curve because of the fact that he had to return to Ohio state to get his degree, they have different rules and missed OTAs that season.

The difference between the NFL and college is as much as body type as ability to play. A great college player very rarely makes it in the NFL if he does not fit a certain size for position. Parcels even mentioned that. So even though a player might play great in college, he will not make it at the same position in the NFL, that’s a fact. And then again a marginal player in college that physically and mentally fits the square peg of the NFL can exceed even though he may have had a marginal college career.

A great GM can see this in a player and goes for those types later in the draft. I’d stack up Reese’s draft success against any GM in the NFL.

I still have not given up on Barden, but Sintim is done because of those knee injuries. You just cannot guess who will get injured but I have some thoughts about that and maybe it is possible to guess who will be an injury problem making the transition to the pros.