Thoughts and Musings

No game, but that doesn’t mean we stop here at the Gab.

-What do you guys do on the bye week? Watch the other games? Spend time outside? Catch up on work?

-I do a combination of all three. Bye weeks can be relaxing. Football, as much as we love it, takes up 3 hours of our Sunday. I use the bye week to recharge for the week ahead.

-I don’t think the Miami game is a must win game, but this is the easiest game on the schedule. Miami is just an awful team, that using this game to just bludgeon a team would be nice. Things do not get easier after that.

-I think going to New England then to San Fran, that’s a tough stretch. West Coast trips are always brutal, and the Giants never seem to do well out West. But to add New England before it and then Philly after it? Tough.

-I think if the Giants want to continue to succeed, Bradshaw needs to play like he did against Buffalo. Establishing the run, and then letting Eli do his thing makes the Giants all the more dangerous.

-Hay interlude: I went on a hay ride with my girlfriend this weekend. It was in the middle of Pennsylvania, a beautiful farm, and some friends. Very nice. Issue: The tractor got stuck. Not once. Not twice. But three times. It’s not a great experience to be stuck in the middle of a cornfield, and having to wait for the bulldozer to pull you out. Eventually, probably from all the pulling, one of the tires just went out. But it was great to be out in nature, with a lot of peace and quiet, and some great people.

-I think Eli is flying under the radar, but he’s playing outstanding football. In fact, I think he should be in the MVP discussion. Is he playing on Aaron Rodgers’ level? No, but who is. Manning is playing, I think, the best football of his career. And he’s doing it without fanfare, which is how Eli likes it. His brother is getting more attention for being hurt. But, I think Eli succeeds when he’s allowed to dicate the conversation, and for him, that’s to not be in the conversation. When he’s playing well, he doesn’t get noticed. When he’s playing poorly, he gets all the flak in the world. I don’t understand it, but I think it’s time that Eli gets some notice.

-I think if you told me that Victor Cruz would have been this good, I would have laughed. I knew he had talent, but I just hadn’t seen it against top defenses and corners. But he has a knack for the big play, and he comes up big.

-Wonder what’s going on with Justin Tuck. I think there’s something behind his neck that we don’t know about. And that to me is worrisome.

-I think Greg Jones, and for that matter, Mark Herzlich and Spencer Paysinger, need to get some more playing time. I think playing with two linebackers is playing with fire.

-It looks like Kiwanuka is playing more and more at D end, and that’s good, but like I said above, you still need more linebackers. Kiwi is a D end, and he should be there full time. But you can’t make that move at the expense of the linebacking core.

-How good has Corey Webster been? Remember just a few years ago, he was a bust. Now, he’s a top flight corner. I think it’s incredible what confidence can do to someone.

-Do you think LSU could beat a lower level NFL team? Because I’m starting to think they could.

-I think this is the best ice cream in the world.

7 Responses to “Thoughts and Musings”

1. PC says:

When and who ever consider Corey Webster a bust? He is the reason we went to the Superbowl! Remember the pick on Favre that was 2007. He got a great contract and he has been considered one of the top corners for a while now? Just saying!

NY Giants Busts on this current team:

Travis Beckum
    Travis Beckum
    and uh Travis Beckhum

Wasn’t Ramses drafted ahead of Travis? And didn’t the Giants trade up to draft him? And wasn’t he expected to compete for Plaxico’s red zone possessions? And isn’t it consensus that Travis never was given the chance to succeed in this offense?

If you want to put Travis on the bust list, you’re going to have to include Ramses.

2. matcohen says:

I think that the Giants need to admit that they can’t run the ball like they did a few years ago. They’re an average 4 ypr team, not an elite 5 ypr team.

On the positive side, Eli has played like a top 5 QB.

I think that the Giants need to get the ball to Bradshaw where he can make some plays. This means more screens, swings and passes in the flat. For some reason, they just can’t run it they way that they used to.

This is not the end of the world. Eli is averaging 9 yards per pass attempt. Fewer 4 ypr run plays is not the end of the world.

3. sam says:

I dont agree.Miami game is a DEFINITE must win.Heck looking at our 2nd half schedule,seattle was a must win too.Our schedule is just mind blowing to me! your talking about going west after the Pats and then coming back to face Philly on SNF!then Saints on MNF!then GREEN BAY(of all teams,we have to play the best of the best)then after that Dallas on SNF!then rematch vs Redskins,then super hyped game on Christmas vs Jets and Dallas to finish? Its unbelievable I swear.I hate that the Eagles came in 1st last year because it worked in there favor this year.All the #1 teams are #2’s or worse and all the #2’s(Green Bay and New Orleans)are arguably the best teams in the league!I see very few wins in the 2nd half unless Eli takes a step up in the 2nd half something hes never done and the defense plays at its full potential which they dont do consistently.I believe the verdict is still out on this team and we have plenty of potential but I think only a GREAT team can make it through this crazy stretch and win 10 or 11 games or make the playoffs and looking at the past years the 2nd half of the season our team plays the weakest.The positive thing is we get to see our team play tough competition and what doesnt kill you makes you stronger so hopefully we take it week by week and get better from the top competition we have to face.I love you Blue and I hope you prove me O so wrong.Go Giants

IMO Miami IS defintitely a must win, if they can’t figure out how to win at home against lower caliber teams, then the team needs to take a step behind the pack and let the Cowboys or Eagles represent the NFC East in the playoffs.

Also LSU would have absolutely no chance against any NFL team, though they look great, they will at some point this year, let a lower caliber team hang in a game too long, any NFL team with eat them alive.

• sam says:

yeah Jason I’m right there with you.There’s no way we can lose this game.If we cant beat them then forget about it.Most importantly though is that in the NFL you have to win the winnable games.Especially with the schedule we have coming up that can go as good as 5-4 or as bad 1-8.

5. PC says:

I like the upcoming schedule the Giants always play the tough teams with a bit more intensity. If we wanna make the playoffs they start now!!! As a True Giants fan Im excited about the rest of the season. We get a chance to see what this team is truely made of?