Giants Beat Cowboys, Win NFC East

It was win and in and that’s what the Giants did beating the Cowboys 31-14 to become the NFC East Champs. The 9-7 Giants will face the Falcons next week in the playoffs.

The Giants started off the scoring with a 74 yard touchdown pass to none other than Victor Cruz. Ahmad Bradshaw scored his first touchdown on a 5 yard run. He scored again on a 10 yard reception to make it 21-0. Laurent Robinson got the Cowboys on the board with a 34 yard touchdown reception to make it 21-7. Robinson caught other TD pass in the 4th, to make it 21-14. Lawrence Tynes hit a 28 yard field goal to make it 24-14. Hakeem Nicks put it away late with a touchdown to make it 31-14.

The Giants offense came our roaring in the first half, making big plays look easy. Everyone got involved, even Henry Hynoski. Cruz was big as always. The second half was different. Couldn’t really get the ball moving, lots of three and outs. Cruz saved their bacon again with a huge catch as the Cowboys were getting back into it. It was a good performance, but the first half showed what they can do on offense. Cruz really was the star. He is a top flight wideout and his knack for big plays makes the Giants dangerous. Without him, hard to say where they would be in this game, or in the season.

Same story with the defense. Great in the first half, mediocre in the 2nd. But made big plays when necessary. A huge 4th down stop on the Cowboys in the 4th quarter changed the game. Boley was big, Kiwanuka was big, JPP was big, and Osi was big. Coverage broke down more in the 2nd, especially  on the first Robinson TD. But they held on and I think the first half showed what they can do. Have to do more of that.

The first half was obviously better, but hey, a win’s a win. And the Giants are in the playoffs, off to face the Falcons. There’s work to do, and Atlanta is not a gimme. But the Giants overcame a lot of injuries, a lot of meltdowns and turmoil to make the playoffs. And now have a chance to make a run. That’s all you ask for. The Giants are in the playoffs. We can celebrate for a bit, and then get to work against the Falcons. But congrats to Tom Coughlin and staff.

9 Responses to “Giants Beat Cowboys, Win NFC East”

1. Chris says:

Nice effort, nice win. Shaky third quarter, but the rest was awesome. Cruz, Manning, Pierre-Paul, Tuck – all played like studs. Go G-Men!

2. I Hate Onsides says:

Great game and good effort tonight.

Eli and Cruz are turning out to be an exceptional duo.

Dare I say that Peytons’ lil bro has found his version of Marvin Harrison in the young and very talented Victor Cruz?

It is a little early to be comparing given the years that Peyton and Harrison had accumulated but Cruz and Eli definitely have the potential.

Whoever said that Rolle is overpaid and should shut up was flat wrong…I think he is great and worth every penny. Made at least 2 really nice plays.

I hate to be negative when we have a good win like this and are going to the playoffs.

BUT

If they coach like they started off in the second half this team will NOT win a playoff game. The coaching staff does not have the killer instincts. They go into the shell of trying not to lose. Once you have a team down you MUST finish them off. The cowgirls were beaten, Jerry Jones was ready to cry and we almost let them back in the game and win it.

Game after game Eli has bailed the Giants out and has made this coaching staff look better than they are. It’s just my opinion and an observation.

Please get rid of that naked draw play(or whatever they call it), the only time it worked was for that 2 point conversion. It nets about 1 yard average.

Take any other QB in the league and replace Eli with them. Now honestly do you think Aaron Rodgers would be as good? Or Big Ben? I don’t think so, maybe Drew Bress and Tom Brady, yes, maybe.

If the Giants had another quarterback what would their record be? Unless it was one of the top 5 we would probably be well under .500 considering we have almost no consistent running game. Look at what happened to the Colts.

I will say without reservation Eli Manning is the best QB in the NFL right now. NOBODY could do what he does with this team, he makes the Giants as a team so much better.

I will also give credit to Tony Romo, too bad he’s stuck with a poor head coach and worst GM. I think Jerry Jones has to fire himself. I like Romo as a QB, he’s one of the best and in the top 10. The cowboys are not a very good team, they have a lot of holes because of the poor drafting and dealings of Jones. Romo makes them better than what they are. I wonder how good Romo would look with Cruz and Nicks as his receivers.

Are you kidding me? Romo has Austin, Bryant, Robinson, Witten. Are you trying to say he’s working with less talent than Eli?? Good to see you finally give Eli some credit though, I knew you’d come around, but Romo is too much of a headcase to be as successful as his skill set suggests he should be, he’s responsible for his own demise, not Jones, Garrett, Wade or anybody else.

• Big Daddy says:

I ALWAYS give Eli credit, you haven’t been reading my blogs and comments Jason. You knew I would come around??????? Go back and read my stuff dude.

It’s obvious anything I say falls on deaf ears with you.

I think you should look at their roster. They have 2 good WRs, Dez Bryant and Austin (whose stats are down), both are good but Bryant especially is a headcase and not a winner. Witten is a great player and their only reliable weapon. Robinson had his best year but he’s not as good as Manningham who made me very angry by not running out his routs last night. In fact all 3 receivers are very good but lack something. Bryant has no discipline at all and is a team cancer.

Our receivers are better coached and are more reliable players even though we don’t have a TE anywhere close to Witten. It’s about a group of players and not their individual stats and ability, our group has out played them every time we went head to head.

• CHeeKZ Money says:

Daddy you are coming up small today my friend.

Dez is a head case? Dude gets into little trouble off the field.. he is still electric and not anywhere the Diva TO is. No drops. Fantastic weapon. People completely overrate the Diva WR being a problem on a football team, typical media vs today’s athlete. Dez is not the reason they lost, Jerry Jones was. Being on TMZ doesn’t make you a headcase, it makes you a celebrity. I love Hicks, but I’ll still take Dez over him.

Robinson is a nice 3rd WR and pretty = to manningham. Actually was his superior this year. And I think Mario’s injury is playing a big part in his absence last night.
          Eli is elite… no one said the best. And If we had Rodger… we might have had a first round bye.

It’s good to see the Giants play how we all knew they could, especially at home. Congrats are in order for our boys. Hopefully there’s more left in the tank.

5. CHeeKZ Money says:

giants looked great……

If the defense plays good again, all this fire Fewell talk will evaporate and all these fair weather fans will hide their hands and pretend they didn’t say it. I knew he could turn it around they guy is a respected coach and no one wants to give him credit now that things are back.

SAME goes for Jerry Reese! All that fire jerry talk, jerry isnt smart enough to be the gm, jerry didnt work hard enough during the lock out….. eat crow! Support your team for once! The comments from the start of the season are out there, we know who said it… YOU LOOK DUMB NOW! Reese is a great GM

6. Brandon says:

As a Jets fan I offer you my congratulations.
    Eli is a fine QB and Cruz is a heck of a receiver.
    The Oline is playing better, and with the DLine healthier the Giants are very good.
    Good luck in the playoffs.
    I think the Giants can take any team out there (including the Packers) except the Saints in New Orleans.

(I will further say I hope the Jets get a new OC and can get some better talent evaluators, since their last few years of drafing have been bad, similar to Chris Pollian formerly of teh Colts)