Thoughts and Musings

Well it’s a happy version of Thoughts and Musings as the Giants are coming off a complete drubbing of the hapless Falcons. Is this the start of something special? Time will tell.

-That’s the first complete game all year, with the possible exception of the Rams game. Start to finish. Dominant defensive performance. Offense made plays. Special teams. Everything was working.

-How about that defense? Perfection, I think. Great pass rush but what struck me more was great coverage. Corey Webster was terrific.

-I thought Jaicquan Williams really was impressive. Continues to improve and is making plays.

-Chase Blackburn had a heckuva game.

-Antrel Rolle played disciplined football, the type he needs to play to be successful.

-Dave Tollefson was also outstanding, playing a lot of defensive tackle.

-So can we say the run game is back? Jacobs and Bradshaw both ran with authority.

-Credit the Giants for sticking to the run. They are a run first team, and they’re not going to get away from it. It paid off.

-Hakeem the Dream. Can’t say enough.

-Manningham was so impressive. The best catch came as he tiptoed the sideline in the fourth.

-THe Giants won without Cruz, which is a great sign. He’s bailed them out of so many games, but when he was held in check, the Giants still won.

-Steve Weatherford was the best signing for the Giants in the offseason. A weapon.

-Easy E, man. He’s so calm and he just makes plays. Unflappable.

-I’ve had enough with screens. There was one screen that was an inside screen that was just pointless. Forget about it.

-I hope Aaron Ross will be ready for Green Bay. While Prince played well, he’s not facing Aaron Rodgers. Concussions are tricky.

-I don’t think this team is like 2007. The O-Line was much better in 2007. And I know there are a lot of similarities, but this is a different team. It might be more explosive on offense. And the linebackers were so much better in 2007.

-But that’s not to say they can’t get hot. Their pass rush is clicking. The run game is clicking. They played great defense,┬ásurprisingly┬áso. We know what Eli and company can do.

-That said, this version of the Packers is pretty damn good. Playing at home. Could be tough.

-I think Sunday will be a tremendous game. I think it will be close. The Giants did a good job of not being stupid yesterday. That will go a long way

-Perry Fewell might become a hot head coaching candidate again after this performance.

-This team was focused, prepared and ready to play. When they do that, which hasn’t been often this year, they’re tough to beat. Can they do that in Green Bay? I think so. It’s going to be a test, that’s for sure.

-Not that I’m thinking too far ahead, but no one’s getting past New Orleans anyway. But we’ll focus on Green Bay a lot this way, try to be really prepared ourselves for Sunday. I’m telling you, going to be a great game.

-Let’s not get overly excited. It was a great win, no doubt. But we’ve seen the other side of this team, the bad side. I’m not ready to say that that side is completely gone. I need to see it Sunday afternoon. But, there is potential for a run. We just need to see it through.

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

11 Responses to “Thoughts and Musings”

1. I Hate Onsides says:

-No ones getting past New Orleans? Are you kidding me? Do you remember their St. Louis game? They were horrible…just proves they can have a bad game, especially away from home. I think the 49er’s defense gets fired up and contains them. The 49er’s lackluster offense will score just enough to stay ahead and they get the win 27-23.

2. Matt Ruggs says:

Jaicquan Williams got flagged for “unneccesarily throwing a man to the ground.” He got penalized for making a textbook tackle. And the pussification of the NFL continues. That is really the only bad note from this game. Well that and LT missing a chip shot field goal. While it had no bearing on the butt-whooping of the Falcons, this could become more critical in a close game with the Packers, Saints, etc. as we saw in the regular season against the Pack. That being said, I am completely confident we will show up at Lambeau. Even Aaron Rodgers has to be a little skiddish having to go up against the toughest D-Line in the league by far. We are reliving the 2007 miracle run, lets just hope we have the same end result.

• Big Daddy says:

That was another blunder by the officials, like the Nicks play, he was mugged. That was a good tackle. What is he supposed to do ask the runner to please fall down now that I have you in my grasp. That would have been a high-lite on ESPN a few years ago.

And that’s my point about my blog football 2012. The rules have made it imperative you score as many points as possible because of these exact things.

We need a new kicker, Tynes is below average.

I wouldn’t say below average, though I’d probably say he’s just average, there’s definitely better options out there, but there’s worse too. I can live with Tynes, but if he misses another chip shot in these playoffs then a new kicker should be looked at. Bringing in Weatherford to compete with, and eventually replace, Matt Dodge has been a key to whatever success we’ve had this season, a little competition won’t hurt anybody.

4. Matt Ruggs says:

Tynes gets the job done for the most part. I think we need a new punt returner. Ever since Will Blackmon came on board our special teams production has slid a lot. I think putting Jernigan or Cruz back to return punts would a little more pizaz to our special teams, which has always been our weakest part of the team.

• mike says:

yeah it would be nice to have a guy for returns… but blackmon is the best option for us right now just b/c he is reliable back there… all this team needs now is not to beat ourselves and i think it’s too much of risk to put a rookie back there now… go blue

• Big Daddy says:

Right now it’s about not fumbling, not worrying about return yards. Hopefully next season we address that and a new kicker.

• CHeeKZ Money says:

people swore up and down that Jernigan was going to be the solution to our Special teams woes. I’ll say it again, we should have drafted Mason Foster!

• Big Daddy says:

Matt didn’t you mean to say Tynes gets it done for the least part?

I saw something on twitter today, McCarthy commenting on JPP’s “guarantee” by saying “We expect to win”. That’s the problem with the Packers, just like the Patriots in Feb. 08, they EXPECT to win, and that’s why I think the Giants can beat the Packers (and anyone else for that matter). The Giants don’t expect to win anything, but when they work towards it, they work harder than any other team in football. So let McCarthy and his boys EXPECT to win, we’ll WORK towards beating them.

As far as the Saints, yes, I certainly wouldn’t want to face them in the Superdome, but I don’t see them getting past San Francisco. When a team is unbeatable at home and VERY beatable on the road, and their home is a dome, it says a lot about what kind of team they are, SOFT.