GiantsGab Mock 1

We love mocks. They’re fun. And we like to think we know the Giants and these prospects a bit. So we’ll have fun.

WITH THE 32nd PICK IN THE 2012 NFL DRAFT, THE NEW YORK GIANTS SELECT…

MIKE ADAMS, OT, OHIO STATE

The Giants need a right tackle. Mike Adams has the most upside of any tackle prospect in the draft. He can play left or right, but his size lends him better to the right side. Adams can start right away and they can cut Diehl to save money; if not, Adams can apprentice for a year and then take over. Adams has the potential to be elite. The Giants have not drafted an elite prospect for the line in time. Adams is available at 32 because of concerns with his effort. But Pat Flaherty will light a fire under Adams, and he will be a star. It’s not sexy. But it’s the type of pick that great teams make. The Giants are great. This pick could be a great one for years.

His prospect profile is here.

WITH THE 64TH PICK IN THE 2012 NFL DRAFT, THE NEW YORK GIANTS SELECT..

LAVONTE DAVID, OLB, NEBRASKA

The Giants need to replace Deon Grant in their three safety look. So draft a linebacker? Well, yes. Deon Grant was essentially playing as a linebacker. David is a better version of Grant. He is better in coverage. He’s a good tackler. He’s explosive. Yes, he’s only 6-1, but Grant is 6-2. David is a tweener, and I think, with the tight ends nowadays, he will be in high demand. There’s a very good chance he could go higher than this. David could go in the first round. The Giants will bank that his size pushes him down. He can only fit in a 4-3, zone scheme. If he’s there at 64, the Giants should run up to the podium. I think David is going to be a star.

His prospect profile is here.

WITH THE 95TH PICK IN THE 2012 NFL DRAFT, THE NEW YORK GIANTS SELECT…

BILLY WINN, DT/DE, BOISE STATE

The Giants need defensive line depth, with Rocky Bernard and Dave Tollefson headed elsewhere. Billy Winn is a guy who can multiple positions. 3 technique, defensive end. He’s athletic. Quick. Good burst. Can get after the passer. Needs to bulk up a bit and work on technique, but Winn can play multiple positions right away and thus will become a valuable depth guy. Winn may never be a starter, but his versatility is key.

His prospect profile is here

WITH THE 127TH PICK IN THE 2012 NFL DRAFT, THE NEW YORK GIANTS SELECT…

CASEY HAYWARD, CB, VANDERBILT

Yes, the Giants re-signed Terrell Thomas, but they still need depth. Casey Hayward is a ball-hawking corner who fits in the zone scheme the Giants run. He’s athletic and smart. Not going to be a star, but I think is the perfect backup corner, because he can play in the system and cover well. Can contribute on special teams as well.

His prospect profile is here

16 Responses to “GiantsGab Mock 1”

1. ArthuroMolenda says:

We don’t draft OL or LB high, the chances of drafting both are slim to none, even at 32/64.

2. royhobbs7 says:

Jeremy,

Love your first pick. Mike Adams is the OT that the Giants are looking for at 32. If he is the BPA when Reese is on the clock, we can bet that he will be wearing Giant Blue for years. However, I would feel better playing him at left tackle and moving Beatty to ROT.

Your other picks: If we’re picking for need, not sure that we need a OLB or a DT so soon in the draft. The need is for a RB who can explode to the pile on 3rd and 1, and a WR/KR/PR. Pehaps we can wait until round 4 to draft TY Hilton. But Chris Horton is clearly going to be a favorite to take over D. Grant’s position. So the 3rd round might be ideal for a pass rushing DE to replace Tollefson. Besides, Reese is usually a year ahead and is aware that Umenyiora will probably not be back in 2013 and Tuck seems to get hurt every year.
    I believe that we also need a Center. Baas, unless he improves with OTAs and a full training camp is not the answer to our running game (doesn’t have a burst off the ball and fails to get under the shoulder pads of his defensive opponent (i.e., he rarely drives the defensive tackle off of the LOS).

• Big Daddy says:

Both Baas and Boothe handled Wilfork easily by using leverage.

Mike Adams I agree on.

I have been saying this and I will repeat it a million times, Beatty cannot play ROT. Not everybody can play different line positions especially left and right sides.

• ArthuroMolenda says:

Baas was hurt all year, hopefully he’ll get better.
      Anyway, considering the contract we gave him, he’ll be the starter.

“If we’re picking for need” : you know we’re not 😉

Billy Winn is too slow for his size, he’s a tweener which is bad enough. But he’s slow and I watched film, he can be handled way too easily and taken out of the play. He looks like a late round developmental player.

David is a great college player that will not make it in the NFL unless he moves to safety and plays in the box. Another player that belongs more in the mid rounds, any team that drafts him higher is taking a huge gamble and will probably lose. Unless they fit him into an unusual type of defensive scheme or make him a situational player, he is not a 3 down linebacker.

4. Kaz says:

Fleener ran a 4.45 today. Get a nice little PATS two TE system goin!

• Big Daddy says:

Now that’s what I’m talking about. He was my first round pick in my mock but I bet this put him in the top 20.

• GMEEEEN says:

I know you shouldn’t base picks solely on workouts/40 times, but that completely changes how I feel about him. Would take him at 32 for sure

• Big Daddy says:

It also depends on his ankle is it a long term issue or not. But people say 40 times don’t mean anything and I say yes they do, it depends on many issues. You can’t beat fast unless the fast doesn’t equate to good football. A good football player is just that, add speed and he becomes a potentially great one. Add speed to an average football player and he’s still an average football player. That’s what speed means.

Fleener is a great football player, add that speed and he’s a major weapon for the quarterback and a headache for the defense. Even at a 4.6 40 he’s still potentially a great TE, a 4.45 40 makes him potentially a game changer/breaker. That’s what I said about Orson Charles, at his size he needed to run a minimum 4.6 or better, he didn’t and that made him average and small not a potential game changer.

5. giantsfan73 says:

I’m not a Combine guy but Adams’ performance there makes me wary. Mayock was all down on him because he only put up 225 19 times. Mayock’s point was how can a player, with that size, get only 19 reps when he has had months to prepare for the Combine? Probably laziness…. bust watch.

6. sam says:

I think we go BPA all day.1st round my realistic dream is Kendall Wright but theres way to many WR needy team after 20.My 1st round ultimate dream which I think is unrealistic but I would crap on myself over and over is if we got Trent Richardson(Im holding hope he gets the Mark Ingram treatment and with this knee procedure maybe its possible),but I think at 32 we have good possibility to trade out of the first round because I feel like 32 is no mans land in this draft.I feel like its a bunch of players that are too good to be available at 32 and a bunch of solid 2nd rounders.If we do take some one I hope its Don’ta Hightower or Coby Fleener.O and David DeCastro is another dream thats possible only because teams dont put a premium on interior linemen.

7. ArthuroMolenda says:

If you guys believe we’ll go anywhere near a “PATS two TE system”, you haven’t watch the Giants play under Gillbride !

We’ll draft a WR before we draft a TE in this draft.

• Kaz says:

Haven’t had the tight ends to do it. actually had the exact opposite. No reason not to use weapons if they have them.

• ArthuroMolenda says:

I don’t agree.

We don’t draft OL high because we believe in teaching low profile guys with abilities.
        We don’t draft LBs high because we value DL and CB.
        Same thing with TE : I don’t think we’re interested in them as pass threats.

imho.

8. Michael S says:

Coby Fleener get em coach

9. […] so exciting. Our prospect profiles are poppin’, we have a first round NFL mock, and a Giants mock. So check everything out, join the conversation. We are draft crazy here at the Gab. Prospect […]