Giants Interested In Stewart?

File this under “rumor that makes sense”. Dan Graziano over at the NFC East blog on ESPN, suggested the Giants inquire about Jonathan Stewart:

The Panthers moved quickly to dispel any notion that the Tolbert acquisition means they’ll deal Stewart or DeAngelo Williams or even Mike Goodson. But that could be a leverage play to keep interested teams from thinking they’re desperate. The fact is, they should see what they can get for Stewart, who’s miscast there in a timeshare with Williams (and now Tolbert), and if I were the Giants I’d be extremely interested. Stewart is a big-time talent and would be a big upgrade over Jacobs in the Giants’ backfield tandem with Ahmad Bradshaw

This doesn’t mean the Giants have inquired about Stewart, but maybe they should. Stewart is 5-10, 235 pounds. 10 touchdowns last year and then in the year before.  Has rushed for over 1,000 yards before. He’s a power back who is a weapon out of the backfield (had  47 catches last year). It would probably take a 2nd or 3rd round pick to acquire Stewart. But it makes sense. The Giants have a need for an inside runner, and Stewart is young (just turned 25) and has a ton of ability who can beat defenses in a number of ways. Teaming him with Bradshaw would be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

9 Responses to “Giants Interested In Stewart?”

1. sam says:

O man that would be GREAT! I think because our 2nd round is almost a 3rd I think it makes sense,If it was higher I wouldn’t be so ready to let a 2nd round pick fly like that.His cap number is low too.Stewart’s base salary is 1.3 mil and with escalators it can hit 2.6 mil and that’s half of Jacobs old deal.I’m definitely down for this.Man,these are the times I wish we could have our voices heard even if I’m confident they know what they’re doing but I don’t think it hurts to get more ideas thrown into the pot.

The writer is an idiot, anybody who says anything about Beatty moving to ROT never saw him play there. He looked like a glove on the wrong hand. As I have said a million times he cannot play the right side, many OLineman cannot switch sides. The foot work is different and it means completely changing, if anybody doubts that try it, you’ll see.

ESPN loves to make things up.

Reese is not trading for anybody unless it’s a great deal and he doesn’t have to give up much.

• Big Daddy says:

And as for an inside runners don’t count out Scott just because he runs fast. Plus Hynoski is a tough inside runner and was pretty good in college, he can run. I would love to see Killdrive give him some snaps.

Running between the tackles is not about size it’s about leg drive and pad level. It also helps if the OLine does their job.

• royhobbs7 says:

Really Big Daddy? Will Beatty started the first four games of his Giants career at ORT against the likes of Peppers, Orakpo and Jared Allen. And if I recall, he pretty much held his own considering the talent he was facing; I believe he was also an ORT at Connecticut. Where did you get YOUR info from? Watching films??? What ya been watching, Twilight???

3. ArthuroMolenda says:

Has Reese ever traded ?

• Big Daddy says:

Very few trades and NO big names.I think he traded for Weatherford with Minny and got Sage too, plus that KR. Maybe a player of little note here or there. But that’s not Reese’s way unless he really needs someone and he will NEVER give up high picks.

I think his sights are on either Lofton or Fletcher. Maybe Reese drafts a mike and signs Fletcher to a 2 year contract like he did with Mitchell. Honestly I like the idea of signing Fletcher and drafting Bradham. Maybe the linebacker issue will be solved for a long time that way.

I try to watch a lot of film, over and over again to make sure I am seeing what I think I am. I can see were people who scout college players can be fooled because they forget the most important thing. First and foremost from the mouth of Bill Parcells does his game and body fit the NFL style of play. For instance any linebacker that cannot handle even a college OLineman will not make it. You have to stack and shed. If the college linebacker runs around blocks he will never make it in the NFL, that’s the way it is.

So when you scout a linebacker no matter how big or small, how fast or slow he is, even how tall or short, he must be able to take on at least the NFL’s smaller offensive lineman, fullbacks and tightends minimum. If he can’t he is not going to get playing time until he can. Even NFL scouts mess this up and most of these so called mock draft and scouting sites, they don’t get it. NFL scouts figure he will be coached up and work in the weight room. I’m sure that’s what Reese thought with Dillad, surprise Dillard did not and he’s out of football. He could not handle bigger blockers and did not work on his strength. Nigel Bradham is one of the best at this in the draft.

• ArthuroMolenda says:

Yeah, Rosencopter was a tradee, as well as Blackmon.

Weatherford was a FA though.

Nothing has happenend yet in the LB market but I don’t think we have the money to get Lofton.

4. Erik says:

Would be happy to have him in the fray for the Patriots, but I doubt the Pats pay up for him. They only gave up a 3rd for Corey Dillon, who was way more durable and productive than Stewart. He’d be a great 10 carry per game guy though…tough call.