Projecting the 53 – Offense

The super bowl champions will defend they’re title opening day on Wednesday, September 5th. The toughest day before then will be this Friday, when the Giants will have to go from 75 players to 53. This is a tough day for the coaches. It’s tough to separate the final few guys. It’s even tougher to get the players they just cut to their practice squad. Here’s my official prediction for the offensive side of the ball’s roster after tonight’s pre-season game. Critique away:

In – QB: Eli Manning, David Carr (2)

Out – QB: Ryan Perrilloux

Notes: The Giants haven’t been in the business of carrying more then two QB’s on their roster in the past few seasons, and it won’t start now. Although Perrilloux has looked solid this pre-season, the Giants won’t waste a precious spot on a third QB. Perrilloux is practice squad eligible. If he clears waivers, the Giants will likely try and stash him there.

In – RB/FB: Ahmad Bradshaw, David Wilson, D.J. Ware, Da’Rel Scott, Henry Hynoski (5)

Out – RB/FB: Andre Brown

Notes: It was a touch contest between Scott and Brown, but Brown loses the final spot to Scott. In his second year, Scott displayed enough ability on special teams and as a returner to warrant the nod over Brown. His 4.2 speed is also the edge that tipped the scales in his favor.

In – WR: Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Domenik Hixon, Ruben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan, Ramses Barden (6)

Out – WR: David Douglas, Dan DePalma, Isaiah Stanback

Notes: All three who don’t make the list had solid camps. Douglas added help as a returner and a solid special teamer. As did DePalma. However, they’re simply isn’t enough room for all these guys. I just don’t see the Giants carrying 7 wide outs, especially with the injuries to the interior defensive line and cornerbacks. Douglas and DePalma are guys the Giants would like to keep on their practice squad. Will they still be there? Risky, but necessary.

In – TE: Bear Pascoe; Martellus Bennett; Adrien Robinson (3)

Out – TE: Larry Donnell, Christian Hopkins

Notes: It’s highly unlikely the Giants carry four tight ends opening day. With TE Travis Beckum on the PUP list for the first 6 games of the regular season, the Giants will carry Pascoe, who is looking like the starter, Bennett, whom they signed this off-season and Robinson, the teams fourth-round draft pick. The better question is what happens when/if Beckum comes off the PUP list?

In – OL: Will Beatty, Kevin Boothe, David Baas, Chris Snee, David Diehl, Sean Locklear, James Brewer, Jim Cordle, Mitch Petrus (9)

Out – OL: Selvish Capers, Matt McCants, Christ White, Steven Goodin

Notes: UPDATED: The updated list is to include Petrus now making the team. After tough deliberations, Petrus makes it.

TOTAL AMOUNT OF PLAYERS: 25

13 Responses to “Projecting the 53 – Offense”

1. james says:

2+5+3+6+8= 24

It’s late I realize… unless you’re a Giants fan in Tokyo. So I think you can add another offensive player, I would assume it’s Petrus. Unless they upgrade with a late cut from another team.

2. Brooke says:

I cant disagree with any of these spots.
    Cordle has looked much better than Petrus (what happened to Petrus?)

• JW says:

Petrus has looked awful, not sure why.

Big Daddy: Douglas is perfectly healthy. They won’t slip him through IR like they did with Cruz, who actually had somewhat of a legitimate injury.

I still think Douglas will go unclaimed during the waiver process. He hasn’t shown enough for a team to carry him on an active roster, in my opinion.

3. CMH516 says:

I thought Petrus was going to develop into a run blocking stud after his rookie year. Wonder why he’s slipped so much?

4. pc says:

save any extra spots for the defense where there seems to be more quality to keep on the roster.

Looks good to me.

Brown doesn’t make the team because he did the one thing that drives Coughlin crazy. He carried the ball wrong and fumbled. He fumbled near his own endzone. High and tight any other way is WRONG. Scott has shown he can play and protect the ball.

Petrus has been putrid and Cordle has played much better.

I expect Douglas to be put on IR with some magic injury along with Ojomo and/or Marshall, Broha is too small for a DE and too slow for a LB.

McCants makes the PS I doubt anybody wants him. I do not understand why they had him play ROT, he could not get the footwork down it was obvious. Reese even said McCants is a LOT period when he drafted him. Was that to make him look bad so they can sneak him on the PS? If that was the case they succeeded, he looked bad. Brewer has an injury and might be put on IR, it might be a back injury.

The Giants are probably looking for help on the offensive line the 53 might be temporary. I expect them to cut someone or trade someone to make room for an offensive lineman.

I do not like Jernigan, he has poor instincts, but he must be given some time. Maybe Barden can get traded, please trade him. Another good showing against a team that did not press him. The coaches aren’t fooled by this. In the regular season they would have a guy all over him and he can’t get separation. I hope I am wrong and he comes up big during the regular season. If he did turn the corner it would be a big help to this team.

6. sam says:

I would like to think we should keep Brown because he has more upside than Ware and is a better RB than Scott but hes had some serious injuries in his football career going back to college and he made two big mistakes yesterday on the day he ran the best he has ever. I hate to risk losing D.Douglas because I see A LOT of potential there but I dont see us keeping 7 WR’s. What really bothers me is giving Barden another shot but he seems like a really confident guy and maybe the confidence hes built up will help him perform in the regular season.Im really interested to see what the Giants do with Ojomo,Marshall and Broha. Ojomo and Marshall have to stay and Broha just seems like a guy that doesnt make it past the Pats in the waiver wire. Tomorrow will be exciting,cut day always is at least for us die hards. Go Giants ‘In Reese we trust’

P.S I would’ve flipped Barden for Vontae Davis and took a shot on our leadership and tough coaching to keep Davis focused but I guess the Colts were desperate because that was WAY to much to give up for him.Unless, he reachs his potential of course.

7. Russo757 says:

I think they keep Brown. Fumbles happen. Especially after your asked to run 10-12 times in a row. Besides Wilson, Brandshaw, and Scott are similar in that they are smaller, elusive, speed backs. They need someone with size and while Ware is a old savvy vet, I think NY is looking to the future. He hasnt made the jump yet and isnt going to. Gotta say I was impressed with Brown’s showing last night, even if it was against the second string D.

8. Brooke says:

I know what we all mean by beating press coverage, but I like the confidence I am seeing in Barden. He’s building momentum. And for a player that has sat as much as him thats real important. Adding him into the mix with Cruz and Nicks is sooooooooo intriguing…I hope he keeps building.

I hope

9. JW says:

Big Daddy: Douglas came back and practiced and wasn’t listed on injury report. Would raise tommy eyebrows.