How to beat the Eagles.

And the same backfield, Jimmy, you and Collins, Chevigny, and Niemiec. Now-w the success of any team men is based on team-play — the same as you’ve shown all year –: Sacrifice; unselfish sacrifice! These are the fellows they say are pretty good; but I think we’re better! And I think if we get ourselves keyed up to a point, and when we’re confident of that … why-y-y the results will take care of themselves.

All right, now. On the kickoff — if we receive, the zone men will drop back to the receiver and block long — that old Notre Dame style. If we kickoff — which the rest of the teams want — let’s run down fast — just as fast as you can run. And then we go on defense. And on defense — I want the center in and out of that line — according to the situation. Use your old head! And I want you guards charging through as far as you can go — on every play. Expect the play right over you every time –.

And the tackles — I want you to go in a yard and a half — and then check yourselves. Spread your feet — squat down low — and be ready with your hands and elbows, so you won’t be sideswiped. But I want the ends in there fast every play. Every play, but under control. And you men in the backfield there, I want you to analyze it before you move. If they throw a forward pass, a zone pass, wait ‘til you see the ball in the air — and then go and get it! And when we get it, boys, that’s when we go on offense. And that’s when we go to ‘em — and, don’t forget, we’re gonna pick on one last one tackle that is weak.

We’re going inside of ‘em, we’re going outside of ‘em — inside of ‘em! outside of ‘em! — and when we get them on the run once, we’re going to keep ‘em on the run. And we’re not going to pass unless their secondary comes up too close. But don’t forget, men — we’re gonna get ‘em on the run, we’re gonna go, go, go, go! — and we aren’t going to stop until we go over that goal line! And don’t forget, men — today is the day we’re gonna win. They can’t lick us — and that’s how it goes… The first platoon men — go in there and fight, fight, fight, fight, fight! What do you say, men!

A speech by Knute Rockne sometime in the 1920s. Has football changed that much? Not really……

17 Responses to “How to beat the Eagles.”

I stand by what I’ve been saying. The replacement refs may have been incompetent, but the real refs are malicious. They’re proving it tonight, trips, holds, defensive holds, hands to the face, no flags. And you have to love how Collinsworth LOVES whenever there’s a flag against the Giants, what a dumb bumpkin, NY envy at its finest, go back to Ohio.

2. Chris says:

prince looks good

I was wondering if those where the replacement refs or what. They looked like they where having a good time sticking it to the Giants. Some true non-calls, one pass interference, Hixon never gets the calls for some reason. Text book mistake by DB not looking back to the ball and it was not called.

Hey the Giants should have won, they are suffering from too many injuries to key players. The Eagles are a tough match-up and always play well against the Giants, That is why I put that up. We all know how to beat the Eagles, anybody who knows football can figure it out but to do it that is the difficult part and the Giants really missed some important players.

The Giants had their chance and missed on the FG. That’s the bottom line.

I just hope this is the same Eagle team we play when they have to come up here. The offense was ultra conservative, afraid to make a mistake, knowing anything would turn the tide in our favor. Nicks plays, we win, and BIG, period.
      Another question, why couldn’t the NFL schedule our game with the Saints earlier in the year? By the time we play them they’re going to be rolling on all cylinders. I’ve never been a conspiracy theorist, but I think the NFL likes that little stat about how hard it is for Super Bowl champions to repeat, they love letting the Browns know that parity exists. Speaking of the Browns, no excuse for not putting a beating on them this week, although who would really be shocked if we blow this one?

• Sam says:

Yeah I hate to make excuses and at the end of the season your record is your record regardless if we could’ve won some games if people were healthy BUT…..I cant help to think about what this game wouldve looked like with Nicks,Phillips,Hosley and Rivers in the game.Especially Nicks, the other guys we can live w/o but Nicks across from Cruz allows the offense to really work in the air and on the ground.I honestly think that if the Eagles played the way they did with Phillips and Nicks this game wouldve been a blow out! There wouldve been running room and Eli couldve sliced and diced them with Nicks opposite of Cruz. On to positive news, I think Stevie Brown did a awesome job coming off the bench. I don’t want Phillips to be out but if Stevie can grow and build on this performance, I think we’ll be fine. I didn’t like how Brandon Hughes seemed to know our plays. He honestly looked all pro out there because he was reading everything that he’d seen in camp. When the Giants put hixon and I believe Cruz on the same side and ran high and low out routes, you can see Hughes signaling that the WR’s were both going out and he broke on the ball and knocked it down. We have to be better than that.

I just hate losing to the Eagles and we aren’t very consistent at home so losing in Philly hurts.

It’s not really an excuse as we all except the loss for what it is, it’s just a fact, if healthy, we are one of the more talented teams and with Nicks out there, this game isn’t even questionable. Cruz had single coverage on a very limited basis and got open on every play. Let’s hope Nicks is ready for Sunday because we can’t afford a letdown.

4. Michael S says:

defense stunk, one eli int stunk. without that we destroy them. they played mistake free n we were a fg away from winning. without a int, we win.

5. jared says:

I say we win if we try to get a few more yards before the field goal! What was that all about? Who knows, the best case scenario is a pass gets caught and run in for a TD, the worst case is we attempt a 54 yard field goal! If we pick up 5 more yards we win the game….

• Big Daddy says:

If this, if that, the fact is the Giants lost to a lesser team.

That’s the NFL, that’s what we put up with every season and now hope that it all comes together at the end of the season. In the mean time we suffer through stinkers like last night.

6. Russo757 says:

Giants lost cuz of poor play calling. There was a wasted time out on 3rd and 1 to replace Brown with Bradshaw for no gain. Brown would have been my choice for that play as a power back and using the time out was costly. Second, passing the ball after the PE call on the eagles was horrific. The giants were in range for Tynes. Two run plays and a spike on 3rd would have been the safe route to win. Instead yet tries to get the TD. Think about all that could have went wrong passing like that, int, OPI, holding on the offense to protect manning while the play developed. Bad call. Tynes was 11 for 11 and well within range. I expected better decision making from TC. This loss is on his shoulders.

Wilson have the giants prime starting position on every drive but one. There should have been points up damn near each drive. They have brown only a few touches and why? Bwcuse Bradshaw is back? Give me a break. What happened to feeding the hit hand?

Anyone notice the defense looked flat out there? Not a lot of fire from these guys. Not much motivating from the team captain (I’m calling you out Mr. Tuck) its crazy how defenses can have Philly on their heels three weeks in a row and NY comes in with what’s suppose to be a premium pash run and front line and doesn’t really rattle Vick.

Frustrating…..

• Big Daddy says:

These types of things has always been my frustration with Coughlin. We win with Brown and he goes back to the RB we lost with. Hixon had a good day but is not a clutch player, stats mean nothing. Why didn’t Eli throw more to Bennett.

Another one of those head scratching games the Giants come up with every season.

The Dline had to contain Vick which they did. We just did not have the better secondary in there and don’t get me started on Chase.

When the coach’s version of the game is available Wednesday I will break it down.

IT WON”T BE PRETTY.

• Russo757 says:

Bennett is dangerous but is lazy. He stops running routes if he thinks he is beat which causes him and eli not to link up on occassion. He can be a great TE but he needs an attitude adjustment. Eli looked pretty upset with him on that endzone pick. Im not sure how he coudl have ran a different route that would have resulted in a TD, because Eli threw that ball right to the defender. But he had words with Bennett after.

Work ethic seems to be missing especially on the defense. They just look lazy to me. I want to see the giants come out fired up and play like Seattle did against the Packers or how the ravens do day in and day out. They have the damn talent, even beat up. They just walk around too often with their head in the sand.

Its still early in the season but 0-2 in the division isnt a good start, not with Washington looking as explosive as they do, Dallas with a stout defense, and the Eagles on top. Going to be a rough road this season so buckle up.

7. Big blue says:

I’ve heard people blaming Tynes or even Ramses Barden for this loss. The fact of the matter is if you were to put the loss on someone it would be the Giants offensive coordinator Gillbride. If the ball was on the 26 yard line why were we passing??? First down it should have been a run, run, spike, field goal. I don’t understand why they had Eli, who is trustworthy don’t get me wrong, taking cancers throwing the ball. If anything, Barden attempted to prevent Namdi from intercepting that poor because of the poor throw by Eli. Gilbride is very inconsistent when it comes to play calling and it hurts us in our losses.

• Russo757 says:

Cant agree more. Terrible play calling at the end. BUt Its TC and not Gilbride. It was his call, Im sure, to keep going for it.

8. giantsfan73 says:

BD, I’m interested to hear your take on the last running play of the game. Looked like a draw or something to Bradshaw… who did NOT hit the hole! He could have had a big gain, instead, minimal gain …. if he hit the hole the Giants could have had the ball at chip shot range…

9. Russo757 says:

While we are at it, someone explain to me why NY burned a time out on 3rd and 1 just to take out Brown and put in Bradshaw which resulted in NO GAIN.

That was just as bad as a call as deciding to pass once they were on the 26