Time is running out… NY Giants

East Rutherford, NJ – Hello Gabbers, hope everyone had a great Christmas with their family and friends. As we approach the last game of the NFL season, there are a few things to discuss about your NY Football Giants.

As you can see from the first picture; the ball is definitely rolling down hill and the snowball is getting bigger by the second.  Last weeks lost to the Baltimore Ravens 33-14, was another crushing defeat to an already frustrating season for all Giants fans alike. They looked defeated in all three phases and could not recover from the thrashing by the Ravens.

The Giants have been outscored 67-14 for the past two weeks. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have looked as if they were relaxing on their couches with the way they were able to torch the Giants secondary; mostly Cory Webster  (6yr/$43.5MM) who becomes a free agent in 2014; has not lived up to the billing this season and has been exposed by opposing QB’s. I’m not going to touch Prince Amukamara since he has shown vast improvements and is looking like the 1st rdr the Giants drafted. Jayron Hosley, the rookie out of Virginia Tech, has been plagued by a few injuries here and there but when on the field, he’s played like a “rookie” to put it in simpler terms.

Let’s talk about the Defensive line, shall we? Let’s….  The book is out on the SuperBowl champion front seven; Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Rocky Bernard, Mathias Kiwanuka, Chase Blackburn, Michael Boley and cast… has the NFL figured you out? Great question… is it lack of hustle, injuries, what is it guys? Big Blue nation needs this addressed, asap!!  For me, its simple; the Giants are unable to create pressure up the A and B gaps (collapsing the QB pocket) thus not allowing the D’ends to come off the edge and get sacks (2011 – 48 sacks vs. 2012 – 32 sacks) a big decline from last year to say the least and a huge issue for the defense. When that doesn’t happen , it exposes the already weak Giants secondary to big plays from the opponent. According to ESPNNewYork.com’s, Ohm Youngmisuk, Osi Umenyiora was quoted saying the Giants lacked confidence; ” You can’t say it’s physical talent because we have the ability, but obviously it has to be something, and so the only thing I think you can point to is confidence”.

And then there are the Philadelphia Eagles (4-11). They have been a thorn to the Giants in recent seasons, mostly notably,  Dec 19, 2010.. see video  DeSean Jackson menace  Giants, in what was one of the biggest collaspes in the Giants 85 year history, lost to the Eagles on a 65 punt return by Desean Jackson eliminating the Giants from their playoff contention.

In week 17, Michael Vick returns as a starter as Nick Foles suffered a broken hand. Although Desean Jackson has been on IR for most of the season, that play from 2010 still lingers in many of the Big Blue faithful.  The last game of the regular season has the potential of the NY Giants not making the playoffs at the hands of the Philadelphia Eagles once again. Do you think there will be a miracle at Metlife Stadium? Send your thoughts.

11 Responses to “Time is running out… NY Giants”

1. Bob says:

That was because they kept Matt Dodge as the punter that whole season. They knew he was not doing the job yet they where hard headed enough to keep him as their punter. I do believe he had cost them 2 games that year. The Giant’s do not make changes to make themselves a better team. Very old school and a coaching staff to match.

• Carlos Colon says:

Bob,

Dodge did mess up by kicking to Jackson, however, it was a botched play that worked for the Eagles. Poor tackling, etc…. it’s not really Dodge’s fault. We aren’t psychic, we didn’t know he was actually going to run it back 65 yds for a TD..

You mentioned the Giants don’t make changes to better the team? How so? If you look at Reese’s tenure with the team, look at the roster he was able to muster up.. I encourage you to do some research on Reese’s draft picks… every NFL team drooled over what he has done in his short tenure thus far. I have to disagree with your statement Bob.

• Bob says:

I do appreciate your kind disagreement. You are correct in many ways. I feel letting Mario go to the 49er’s really hurt the Giant’s and although I love the guy Domnick Hixon is just a shadow of his former self. Thinking he would replace Mario. Also if you draft a running back then you should play him and get him involved in the flow of the game instead of waiting until everyone is injured and the position is decimated. Where is a playmaking linebacker. Has he ever drafted one? I feel Carlos that JR has left some holes in the D and not filled them over the years.

• Carlos Colon says:

Bob,

Absolutely.. I do believe we have not filled a prime player at the LB position however, we do have some guys that have been serviceable; Chase Blackburn, Jacquan Williams, Keith Rivers, etc.. a blend of size and speed but nothing to boast about.

JR does need to address this area but I don’t believe they are in dire need of one. We will see in the off season where JR goes with this; as JR has always said; they draft based on “best player available, regardless of position” the Giants don’t draft based on lack… hey it’s got them 2 SB in the last 5 yrs… not bad, no? Ernie Accorsi, who brought in JR has passed that philosophy down to him.

• Carlos Colon says:

Also Bob, Giants play a base 4-3 front; LBs are usually not a premium in this set like a 3-4 front…. 4-3; the crux of that front are the DT’s and DE’s…

• Bob says:

That is also true Carlos. Up the middle the Giant’s have been soft this year but not as bad as they have been on the edges. Osi’s side has been the worst. I am a 62 yo man. I have been a Giant fan since I was 12. I remember the Dark Ages of the late 1960’s and the horror of the 1970’s. I just hope in my liftime what I have left that we stay competitive. The way this season had ended I have to say I am very sad and stunned.I wish I had the solution. Study your Giant history, I know the game is much different than it was then. I hope JR finds the players we need. I know you just can’t let everyone go but we need speed on D and a running game.

• Carlos Colon says:

Oh wow, 62 yrs young!! i appreciate you reading my article.. I have a lot of catching up to do with regards to learning my Giants history. I actually have a book on Giants history; still reading it as a matter of fact.

I don’t question Jerry Reese’s moves as i did when he first started as GM. I’ve learned to have patience when it comes to things like building rosters…immediate gratification never works in the NFL long-term. That is why I respect franchises like the Patriots and Steelers; they get “it” as to how to maintain success in the NFL.

2. Kaz says:

Vick is going to go off. Healthy McCoy, not to mention Bryce Brown who the Giants haven’t even played against. The play of the defensive ends has been awful all season. Almost convinced Tuck is fine with two rings. JPP is supposed to be some freak of nature but dropped 10 sacks from last year. Osi is going hard practically every play, I think that’s cause he is showcasing himself to other teams or just a bigger contract. I listened to Antrel yesterday on The FAN. That’s a guy who wants to win. However, he said hes not sure how his teammates are going to come out and play Sunday. Thats concerning. Who do you look at to motivate the players? Themselves? The coaches? You would think the thought of a repeat would be enough. We have had the playoffs in our hands and its all but slipped right through our fingers.

• Carlos Colon says:

Kaz,

Antrelle Rolle is the TRUTH, if there is a guy you want to battle with; its Antrelle. His comments do concern me for the simple fact that he’s “all in” but he’s not sure if his teammates feel the same way; NOT GOOD!

Giants aren’t done yet and as we all know we have seen some crazy things happen in the NFL. Packers want that home field advantage, Bears and Cowboys are the wild card.

I don’t see Osi coming back since he wants big time $$, he’s not getting that from the Giants.. He was a great Giant, but that shipped has sailed.

3. Chris says:

After the Giants beat the Pats the first time, we had a couple of tough years and the roster looked like it does today: tired, older, unmotivated players. Then they re-tooled and won the SB again. So maybe the same thing will happen – a tough 2 to 3 years, then another run (and Eli’s last hurrah). Two good drafts and we should be in the hunt again. Hey, we could be long-suffering Eagles, Falcons, Redskins, Seahawk, Jacksonville fans – to name a few – that have never won it or haven’t won it in forever! Cruz and Nicks both have four years left, Wilson’s future is bright, as is Randle’s, Prince’s, Hosley’s, and JPP’s. Build the OL and the LB crew, adding a CB or WR here and there, and in two or three years we’re there again!

• Carlos Colon says:

Chris,

Thanks for reading my article. Very much appreciated. Jerry Reese has always followed the principles of his mentor and former Giants GM, Ernie Accorsi; “draft the best players available, regardless of what position they may play” This worked out for Reese in that they won 2 SB in 5 years; they built their roster with depth at pretty much every position on both sides of the ball. I don’t see that changing as long as Reese is at the helm.

Victor Cruz (3 yrs/$1.215MM) becomes a Restricted FA after this current season. I believe Reese and Cruz’s camp will work out a long term deal to make him a Giant for a long time. We have seen the maturation of Cruz before our very eyes; I am a believer!! He may get somewhere near Nicks’ $$ if not a little more.

Hakeem Nicks (5yrs/$12.54MM) becomes an Unrestricted FA in 2014 so the Giants have one more year with Nicks. His injury history is something to pay attention to, especially this season. He has barely practiced and it shows on the field. His timing with Eli is a huge concern. Not having Nicks at 100% has hurt the Giants big time.

Giants will need to restructure a few of the veterans contracts for next year; Tuck and Webster mostly since they are some of the highest paid Giants on the team. Giants will also need to sign Bennett and Kenny Phillips after this season; they have youth and athleticism on their side.