Hey, Giants Fans; Wise The ‘F’ Up!

They phone in to the ding-bat, radio, talk shows, weeping and wailing and gnashing their spoiled-brat teeth; carping and crying about how disappointed they are because the Giants went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. OMG! Let’s all sit in a dark room, eschewing food and water, on suicide watch. Are you guys insane or what!

From 1956 to 1963, the Giants went to six World Championship Games. Repeat! Six World Championship Games in eight years! And brat that I was, I was disappointed because they only won one; and I wailed and I wept and I gnashed my little brat teeth. Then came sixteen years of the worst football imaginable: no championships, no playoffs, a 72 to 41 beating by the Redskins in 1966, number one draft choices like, Ralph Rocky Thompson, and the endlessly feuding Maras; and that’s when I finally knew what real disappointment meant. Enter, George Young in 1979:

Since the George Young Era began, thirty-three years ago, the Giants have won more championship games — five — that any team, except the 49ers, under Hall of Fame Coach, Bill Walsh, who won five, and the Patriots, who have won seven.

Since the George Young Era began, the Giants have played in more Super Bowls – five, winning four — than any team except Walsh’s 49ers, who played in five and won five and the Patriots who played in seven, but won only three.

Since the George Young Era began, the Giants average a Super Bowl appearance about once every six years — and a Super Bowl win about once every eight years.

Since the George Young Era began, the Giants have won more Super Bowls — four — than any other NFL team, except, Bill Walsh’s 49ers — five.

And since the Tom Coughlin Era, of the George Young Era, began, in 2004, the Giants have won two of those Championship Games and two of those Super Bowls, with only one sub-500 season — averaging one Championship and one Super Bowl about once every four years.

Additionally, the team structure is in place for successful years to come: intelligent and football-smart ownership at the top, a great GM, providing a steady influx of talent, a great Head Coach and staff molding that talent to their potential; and one of the great “money” QBs of all time, even if his stats aren’t always gaudy. Which would you rather have, stats or Championships?

Hey, Giants’ fans; wise the ‘f’ up! These are some of the best years in Giants history. Stop carping and crying and enjoy them!

Note: The Packers, Broncos, Redskins, Raiders and Dolphins have all gone to five Championship Games, winning all five, and the Steelers have gone to seven, winning all seven. And respectively, they’ve all been to five and seven Super Bowls as well, without winning all five and seven. However, some of their Championship and/or Super Bowl appearances were prior to The George Young Era which began in 1979.

8 Responses to “Hey, Giants Fans; Wise The ‘F’ Up!”

1. [...] They phone in to the ding-bat, radio, talk shows, weeping and wailing and gnashing their spoiled-braSee all stories on this topic » [...]

2. PC says:

TOTALLY AGREE 100%! LOT OF GIANTS FANS GET FAIR WEATHERED. WE WON 2 SUPER BOWLS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS!! WE HAVE A GREAT COACH AND TAM QUIT BITCHING.
    HONESTLY I THINK ALOT OF THE CRY BABY FANS ARE JUST COMING TO THE PARTY AND HAVENT CHEERED FOR THIS TEAM FOR THE PAST 30 YEASR LIKE SOME. WE HAD SOME WAY WORSE YEARS THAN THIS. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

• chris says:

I agree that we are having great years but with a team that is this talented, we should have done much better. We went through rough years but our expectations were not that high. We had Kerry Collins, a fumble happy running back and our best receiver was Toomer. Fans should be pissed, we are a playoff caliber team, we beat half the teams that are in the playoffs.

3. Retard says:

Perhaps GIANTS fans are so vocal about their disappointment because they recognize that their window of “great years” is coming to an end.

We will witness our “pass rush” (insert sarcasm) dismantle this offseason and difficult decisions lie ahead regarding our offensive line and wide receivers corps. I can’t agree with you this time around. This was a year in which we lost very few pieces from a Championship team and we should have made the playoffs at the very least. I, for one, am very disappointed.

4. Conner says:

It’s an unfortunate way to end the season with a win but still not managing to make the playoffs. But the Giants should have thought that this could be there turn out earlier in their season. They championship winners last year and played this year too relaxed. They should do a lot of thinking in the off season about their roster. However they did have a lot of injuries to deal with which hurt them in the long run. All in all, I feel they will come back next year stronger and have more of an urge to play harder.

5. Lou says:

Calm down dude. It’s the vocal 5% that are demented enough to sit on hold for an hour to complain on the air. Don’t project that insanity on the rest of us. I, along with my family and all of the other Giants fans I know, are disappointed that the Giants missed the playoffs but we’re excited about this team. Nobody’s complaining at this point and 99% of the conversations we’re having are about the draft and free agency. The other 1% is about the schedule that just came out.
    Nothing frosts me more than people like you using your bully pulpit to paint fans with a wide brush based on nitwit call-in talk radio.
    You owe us all an apology.

I agree about the fans that call into radio talk shows, they’re mostly morons, however I have absolutely no problem with fans voicing their displeasure towards this team. On Mike Francessa’s show today Eli said that this was a championship caliber team, and it was, and it lost by one point to Washington, a game where if Tynes hits a goddamn field goal (or the refs see the obvious pushing forward of the fumble by RG3, but we’ve all been blinded by his “greatness”) the Giants are suiting up for a home playoff game this weekend. So I think fans have every right to be upset at the lackluster efforts this team put forth in the Bengals, Ravens and Falcons games, because we as fans deserved better. That said, I appreciate everything Eli, Coughlin, Reese and the Mara’s (and to a lesser extent the Tisch’s haha) have all done for us these past years and EXPECT more success, if that makes me a spoiled brat, then so be it, but it doesn’t make me any less of a fan.