Ahmad Bradshaw has foot surgery

Hit me if you’ve heard this one before, but Giants RB Ahmad Bradshaw underwent a procedure two weeks ago to replace a screw in his foot. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, Bradshaw said the new screw “is bigger and will go through two bones” to help with the original bone he fractured and the one he cracked in 2011. Bradshaw believes this is the surgery he should have had last year, but instead he decided to rest his foot rather then go under the knife. He will be out for 8 weeks, but he’ll likely be good to go for camp this summer.

Could this be the end of Bradshaw’s tenure with the Giants?

The bigger question that lurks is his status with the Giants. The 1,000 yard rusher this season is due $3.75 million next season and $4 million in base salary the year after that. With the Giants likely being tight in cap space again this season, could Bradshaw be a cap casualty? Although he hasn’t been told he’s not in the Giants plans for next season, even Bradshaw is wondering what might happen. ”With David there, Andre, they may have what they’re looking for with them, and may be light on cash,” Bradshaw said. “I don’t know the circumstance; I haven’t heard anything. They haven’t said anything anyway, which is a good sign. I hope to be a Giant no matter what, but you never know what happens. It’s all business.”

I personally don’t think the Giants will cut Bradshaw. They might discuss a restructuring of his contract with him, but he’s still got a lot left in the tank and is a leader on the offensive side of the ball. He’s tough as nails and can catch the ball out of the backfield. I do know that the Giants will have Andre Brown and David Wilson locked up next season cheap, and they do want to resign LT Will Beatty this off-season, so they might be able to save a chunk of that by letting Bradshaw go, but I just don’t see it happening. $3.75 million is pretty fair for a 1,000 yard rusher and a guy who can be an every down back.

6 Responses to “Ahmad Bradshaw has foot surgery”

1. DP says:

Restructure his contract. His all-around ability at RB probably holds a higher value to the Giants than elsewhere around the league. However, moving forward I see him as increasingly becoming an ‘insurance’ policy for the expected continued growth and development of Wilson. Don’t think the Giants will want to tie up big money in an oft-injured RB who will probably split duty with others at best moving forward. Bradshaw does play physical football and is a good receiving threat out of the backfield and he plays hurt, a real tough guy. Big Blue needs to figure out a way to keep him around for at least another year. I believe he remains an asset to the Giants.

2. Phil says:

I agree. A lot of fans are drooling over Brown, but he has been injury prone since college, so he is a true liability. Bradshaw on the other hand plays hurt, but still puts up 1,000 yards. He clearly is a passionate player and you have him, Brown, and Wilson splitting carries.. that is a good back field. I see them restructuring his deal so save some cap money, but he has been such a tough player that I feel he deserves the money he is owed this year. Diehl, Baas, and Webster are the players who are making much more than they should. Throw in Boley if you want, those players should take pay cuts, not Bradshaw. And has anyone been looking at some draft prospects. Mike Mauti from Penn State really interests me, but he has had two ACL injuries.

Injuries have killed this team so much in the past couple of years that I really don’t see Reese taking a chance on anyone with a history of injuries, especially 2 ACL injuries.

3. Kaz says:

what harm would it do to restructure his contract? He must know he isnt worth that money with injury issues. I could see a team like the Skins jumping on him if he is released to help out AMorris the Owl and since hes a Giant. Restructure. Him, Brown, Wilson, split carries. Spend money on the line and we get two 1000 yard rushers next season. One will not be Bradshaw.

1,000 yards for Brown? That’s asking a lot for someone who’s barely played due to injury throughout his entire career. I think Bradshaw restructures and we see a lot like this year, Bradhshaw shoulders the load, Brown is the primary backup, gets some goaline carries, the only difference is Wilson will get his share of carries throughout the season and will be worked into the passing game a lot more. A couple years back everyone was clamoring for a package with Jacobs and Bradshaw in the backfield together, it never made sense, but I can see it with Bradshaw and Wilson.

4. Brooke says:

Contract re-structure.
    3rd Down Back.
    Insurance RB.
    Great team leader.
    Tough as nails.
    Emotional (a trait needed in NY)

I would be surprised to see both sides not get a deal done here. I dont think Ahmad wants to leave and I can imagine he understands he needs to take a pay cut to stay and perhaps stay in the league.

He hasnt practiced for almost 2 years which hurts the cohesion of the running game and offence in general. I see him deferring payments and taking on a lesser role next year…playing third down because of his ability in Pass Pro.

But I wouldnt be surprised if he walks, or is cut loose. Not one bit.