How Interested are the Giants in Jason Pierre Paul?

I really think Jerry Reese is one of, if not the best drafting general manager in the National Football League. I absolutely loved what the Giants did last year in the draft. I really liked what they did in 2008 (I thought Kenny Phillips and Manningham were steals where they were drafted) and we all knew 2007 went well.

But for some reason I just can’t shake this feeling that on draft day I’m going to be dissapointed with what the Giants do. I really hope that’s not the case, but I’ve just had this funny feeling.

I think one of the biggest reasons I’ve been feeling weird about what the Giants are thinking about doing is the reported interest the Giants have in jason Pierre Paul the utlimate boom or bust product with the 15th overall pick.
Ralph Vacchiano selected jason Pierre Paul in a mock draft with beat writers from around the country.

Gil Brandt (one of the most respected NFL Draft talking heads) also has said he thinks that Jason pierre Paul to the Giants is “not suprising”.

The Giants also had Jason Pierre Paul in for a visit (know that Clint Sintim and Ramses Barden visited the Giants last year).

On top of that Tom Coughlin was at South Florida’s proday and was paying a lot of attention to Jason Pierre Paul.

Then there is the fact that Ralph Vacchiano has said that the Giants top 5 choices are:

McClain

Spiller

Iupati

Jason Pierre Paul

Sean Weatherspoon

Then on big blue view.com

Ed Valentine reports that “And yes, like it or not I have had three independent source tell me JPP is very much on the Giants’ radar”

And also that  “One of my sources told me flatly that “Osi is a goner” if the Giants take JPP.”

What do you guys think, Smoke screen? Or do you think the Giants are generally interesting in Jason Pierre Paul with the 15th overall pick?

And if he is the pick what would you guys think?

8 Responses to “How Interested are the Giants in Jason Pierre Paul?”

1. dan says:

I think in the same way that Phillips was a steal, maybe the Giants are looking at JPP in case he drops to the late 20’s or early second round. But I don’t think he will. Honestly, I’d rather have him than Morgan for a couple reasons, but not in the first round.
    As for the lists.. I’m ok with that. I’d prefer Weatherspoon or McClain, or Spiller would be great too. Iupati and JPP are good but I don’t need to see them at 15- I think the other 3 guys are better players and would improve the Giants more.

2. jon says:

please please please do not take jpp. i think he has bust written all over him. i would love mcclain or spiller, but i think both will be taken. williams would be a good pick too. i also dont think they should take weatherspoon at 15.

overall i have loved everything jerry has done, but i am very nervous going into this weekend

3. nycsportzfan says:

i think pierre paul has tremendous upside, and its hard to ignore what he did on a Low Expierence level in his one yr.. Almost any guy can bust, and i really belive, if u have a guy who trys ala JPP, then your already ahaed of the game… I’d be surprised if he ends up busting, and u heard that here first..

4. sam says:

I will throw up in my mouth if we take this guy!

I dont think we should trade Osi if we draft JPP, only trade Osi if we draft Derrick Morgan.If someone is going to take a chance on him it should be a 3-4 team because he has the POTENTIAL of being an amazing OLB with those measureables.The only reason Im worried about the draft is that the Giants have been picking at the bottom of the first round and its been fairly smooth but now they actually have to make a big decision! Move up,Trade back,Stay put,who do you take?

I have finally came up with my final opinion on what the Giants should do

I would ONLY MOVE UP for CJ Spiller! If he is at 10 and we make a trade with Jax, I think hes the real deal! it took me the entire time before the draft but I have finally came up with that conclusion.He idolizes Warrick Dunn, come on you cant beat that!

Other then that if we stay put I hope we can get Dan Williams. Go Giants

5. jeremy says:

i think JPP will be on their radar if they trade down or if he’s there in the 2nd round for some reason. The Giants were just doing their do diligence.

6. sam says:

If JPP is there in the 2nd round, THAT WOULD BE AN AMAZING SLAM DUNK! I just dont think he’ll intially live up to the hype of being a high first round pick and that can be devastating to a young player believe me I live in South Florida, look what happened to Ted Ginn, it wasnt his fault they drafted him at 7!

7. Kid Tarheel says:

I too will be suprised if JPP is the pick at 15. If he is there after a trade down, I would be fine with that. But there are too many solid prospects that will be left at 15 to take a swing and possibly miss. Iupati and Pouncey look like good solid picks that would not dissapoint, but might not have the same type of flash. I will be hyped if we end up with either of those two, mcclain, spiller or earl thomas. The Tennessee dt intrigues me as well.

Also, since Mcnabb went inside the division, si there any chance of haynesworth coming our way for a 2 or a 3? He only costs 16 mil over 3, and the market seems to be thin. With the skins adding carriker, his role opn his own team seems to be in doubt.

8. alex says:

Yea and iff jppz boom side comes 2 ny u will all be buying jerseys. This kid is a freak and very competive and his motor doesn’t stop unlike gholston. He can be dwight freeney on the end but I def would rather mclain. But I trust in reese