Leinart to Giants?

Well you read the headline right, Matt Leinart may be joining his former USC counterpart in New York.

“Via Espnnewyork.com

The New York Giants have been “investigating” all options for a backup quarterback for weeks according to Tom Coughlin. And according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Giants have their eyes on Arizona’s disgruntled quarterback Matt Leinart.The Giants, Buffalo Bills and Oakland Raiders have had discussions with the Arizona Cardinals about trading for the recently-demoted Leinart, league sources tell the ESPN NFL Insider. “Well, it depends on what the availability and what the cost is,” said Coughlin, whose team is off Wednesday before playing the New England Patriots on Thursday. “I’m not saying we’re doing that [bringing in a quarterback], but our people are not caught by surprise by this [Sorgi]. Our guys have been working on this for a couple of weeks.”

What are your thoughts on the possible trade for Matt Leinart? Do you like it or hate it?

14 Responses to “Leinart to Giants?”

1. SoDev says:

I guess I’d take him over Sorgi and Bomar, but only if he came cheap and accepted his backup role.

Anyway, he’s on record as saying he wants to start somewhere, so we are not the place for him.

Well of course he’d accept the back up role, he isn’t starting over Eli. I only like this deal if it’s for a 5th round pick or less, otherwise no way.

3. SoDev says:

Point is he could be a problem if he doesn’t “accept” it.

4. Jesse Cassel says:

I don’t think hes that stupid where he thinks he even has the slightest chance of starting, Eli is an established Quarterback there is no way he could think coming here could give him a starting job. Even if he goes to Oakland Jason Cambell is going to start so he has to know where ever he does go he’s ganna have to slip into the backup role. I agree with Jason C though nothing higher than a 5th round pick.

5. Dave says:

I will be quite disappointed if the giants pick up Leinart. I am hoping for anyone BUT Leinart. A malcontent with below average skillsets? No thanks.

6. Dave says:

Oh! I almost forgot to mention Leinart’s lact of characters. From the various blogs around the web, hes a womanizer, heavy drinker and apparently a jerk in person. He would definitely be the worst choice for a backup.

7. jeremy P. says:

Simply put he’s better than Sorgi. But Leinart seems like a last resort to me. I see this happening if and only if we have extinguished all other options. But I’d be ok with him coming aboard if he wasn’t to expensive.

8. Fumblesnout says:

I really don’t want Leinart even if it costs a 7th round pick. He never showed any passion for the game. He was supposed to start over Warner, but he performed so bad that they gave warner the job. Plus he can’t throw the ball more than 5 yards. And a 5th round pick is worth more than Leinart, remember that Ted Ginn Jr went for a 5th rd pick to the 49ers.

Draft picks hold a much higher premium when you actually get towards the draft, that’s why Ginn went for a 5th, as well as Santonio Holmes, and the Pats got Randy Moss for a 4th I believe. At this point in the season anything less than a 4th round pick is pretty much a throwaway, especially since the Giants are having the problem with not having room on their roster to even entertain their draft picks from this year, let alone next year.

9. Bikk says:

How about JaMarcus Russell????
    Any better risk?

10. SoDev says:

Hell no. Prefer Bomar to that turd.

11. kman says:

I’d rather have Sage Rosenfels, at least he gives it his all

12. Geeeeemen says:

Giants did their due diligence, but they are not going after Leinart. Multiple outlets (Jay Glazer) saying NYG not interested.